My GSD bit me.

Old August 12th 04, 06:09 PM
Michael Erskine

Default My GSD bit me.

CAVEAT ------------------------------------------------------------
Now HOWE, you have had your say. Just shut up and let these other
people have a chance to say something themselves. Your name
calling and insults are not necessary. I have all the information
from you I need. I also have my OWN mind and I need to make up
MY OWN MIND. I'm sorry but I am not one of your dogs, get it?
CAVEAT ------------------------------------------------------------

The question:

I have a four year old male GSD. He growls at me sometimes. When
he growls at me he stares me in the face and lays his ears back.
The New Skete books say that the dog should not be allowed to do
that. They suggest shaking down the dog by grabing the dog on the
sides of his neck and picking him off his front feet, then giving
the dog the same sort of treatment the dog would give another if
it were challenging him. Namely getting in the dogs face and
letting the dog know you are the alpha dog. Well, my dog bit me
clearly he felt that I was not convincing enough or he bit me out
of fear.

Anyone got ideas on what to do with this dog that might help him to
decide that he wants to follow and that he has nothing to fear from