Responsible cat/dog intro?

Old September 9th 04, 10:12 AM
polara

Default Responsible cat/dog intro?

Looking for advice from those of you
who have experience with a combined dog/cat household.

My husband is wheelchairbound and loves interacting
with animals but is not interested or able to do any
training. Our dog Angel is very "Terrier" not interested in
pats and cuddles, and not intereted in people who don't
do fun things. So she pretty much ignores him, even though
they are home alone together a lot.

I'm thinking about finding an affectionate cat for Per.

I'd like to "rescue" an adult cat of known temperament.
I can afford the cat's food and medical care; it would need
to be an "indoor cat." I have no problem with taking car
of cat sand and so on - I'm already picking up after both doggy
and hubby, after all.

My questions:

Is it possible that Angel, a typical terrier about cats, too,
could make friends with one individual cat?
Vice versa, am I likely to find an adult cat willing to
become happy housemates with a dog?

How would I go about determining potential
competability and and introducing them to each other?

Is this even feasible?

Polara and Angel in Oslo

Old September 9th 04, 01:48 PM
Leah

"polara" wrote:
Is it possible that Angel, a typical terrier about cats, too,
could make friends with one individual cat?
Vice versa, am I likely to find an adult cat willing to
become happy housemates with a dog?

How would I go about determining potential
competability and and introducing them to each other?

Is this even feasible?

Possibly.

I'd start by talking to rescue groups and shelters about it. They can help
find you a cat with your special needs - at ease around dogs and physically
affectionate. They should be willing to try an introduction first. Even if
Angel initially wants to go after the cat, that doesn't mean that it couldn't
possibly work out.

It will take patient supervision and conditioning, though, and possibly for a
very long time. After a year, my cat can finally interact with my dogs without
being harrassed, though they will still chase him if he runs. For at least the
first six months, I couldn't leave them in a room together unless I was
supervising. If they used their mouths on him instead of their paws and noses
(they like to poke him), I'd still be closing him in his room when I wasn't
there.

I once had a dog who wanted to bite my new kitten. Though I had his two
brothers interacting with the kitten safely in a few days, he took three weeks
of careful interactions using a muzzle before I could even safely let him off
leash when the cat was in the same room. And again, it was months before I
could leave them in the house together alone. But these guys actually
developed a decent relationship.

You can also go through all of that, and end up with two animals who always
have to be separated. It is a risk.

Canine Action Dog Trainer
http://www.canineaction.com
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html

Old September 9th 04, 08:23 PM
polara

"Leah" answered Polara:

| I'd start by talking to rescue groups and shelters about it. They can
help
| find you a cat with your special needs - at ease around dogs and
physically
| affectionate. They should be willing to try an introduction first. Even
if
| Angel initially wants to go after the cat, that doesn't mean that it
couldn't
| possibly work out.

Yes, I will definitely talk to some cat people.

| It will take patient supervision and conditioning, though, and possibly
for a
| very long time. After a year, my cat can finally interact with my dogs
without
| being harrassed, though they will still chase him if he runs. For at
least the
| first six months, I couldn't leave them in a room together unless I was
| supervising. If they used their mouths on him instead of their paws and
noses
| (they like to poke him), I'd still be closing him in his room when I
wasn't
| there.

This is helpful, Leah. At this point I am reconsidering very carefully - if
I think
two dogs are too much for me, do I have the actual time
to provide the careful supervision they would require to be safe?
Probably not.

| I once had a dog who wanted to bite my new kitten. Though I had his two
| brothers interacting with the kitten safely in a few days, he took three
weeks
| of careful interactions using a muzzle before I could even safely let him
off
| leash when the cat was in the same room. And again, it was months before
| could leave them in the house together alone. But these guys actually
| developed a decent relationship.
|
| You can also go through all of that, and end up with two animals who
always
| have to be separated. It is a risk.

I'd need to make a "no make friends, no placement" arrangement with the
cat people, I guess. If I decide to pursue this idea further.

Thanks for your time and effort in answering me.

Polara

Old September 9th 04, 08:23 PM
polara

"Leah" answered Polara: