Advice with Nuisance barking

Old August 18th 04, 05:38 AM
Tysteel40

Default Advice with Nuisance barking

Hi,

I would really appreciate some advice on how to deal with a neighbor's dogs'
nuisance barking.

I live in a neighborhood where everyone lives in acre and 3/4 acre lots. I
have a neighbor next door who seems to be operating a kennel out of his
backyard, and perhaps the fact that his land is not a small sized lot for the
typical cookie cutter home probably makes him think that he's an Island unto
himself, or something.

So far, I've spotted at least over 4 very large dogs in his yard, and it sounds
to me like he has more chained out on the otherside of his lot. These dogs
are always barking, especially around the evening hours, at least till 10
o'clock. The 4 dogs are chained in towards my fence line, and that is why
they sound so loud. The barking has become a nuisance, because it disturbs my
recreational time. I can't even watch tv without being distracted by all that
noise. and I can't even play the piano like I used to enjoy before. My guess
is that either the neighbor isn't feeding his dogs enough food, or that he is
neglecting to feed them on some days.

Anyway, this neighbor definitely knows that he's causing a nuisance, and I've
even yelled out several times at his dogs to shut up, in an attempt to get the
neighbor's attention that his dogs are creating a nuisance. I even became so
angry that I yelled out a threat to report to the police for the nuisnace.

I've never talked to this neighbor personally and quite honestly don't care to,
because the impression I've gotten over the years is that he's not of a
friendly disposition. He is not the kind of neighbor who returns waves of the
hand and etc. I have no interest in having a conversation with this guy, as
I'm sure he's the kind of jerk who is going to tell me to take a hike if I tell
him about the nuisance being created by his dogs.

I'm just fed up with it at this point. I've never been the kind of person who
feels comfortable reporting anyone to the cops, but I may have to do it in this
case. While I lived at this residence for several years, I'm actually a guest
in this home. And the person who lives here has asked that I don't report the
neighbor to the cops, because this individual doesn't want a "problem" with the
neighbors. Though, I don't see any alternative to this situation, and I will
have to state this tomorrow.

So, I have a basic question to ask about calling the cops regarding nuisance
barking. How exactly do the police normally handle these situations? For
example, if I call in to the police department, will they send someone over to
the residence where I live to get a report, or will they get what they need
from me over the phone and then proceed to the neighbor's house? Will I be
asked to file a report in person, or will what I tell them over the phone about
the inconsiderate neighbor and his dogs be enough? What is the experience
with this?

thanks