the rarest of breeds

Old September 17th 04, 11:26 PM
culprit

Default the rarest of breeds

today, my friend pulled out this Life magazine from the 1970's. it had two
adorable Shar Pei on the cover, and included an article about "rare" dog
breeds. i found it pretty interesting.

the dogs that were included were the Shar Pei, Neo Mastiff, Aussie, JRT,
Loewchen (they called it the little lion dog), and Portuguese Water Dog.

of the dogs, the Shar Pei and Neo barely looked like the dogs we know today.
the Pei had almost no snout, just a normal dog nose. not much of the black
pigment around the face either. it was adorable, but totally unlike the
breed we know today. the Neo looked more like a Cane Corso than a Neo. it
hardly had any of the skin folds that the modern Neo has.

the JRT was pretty long in the body, but the picture was of him jumping and
twisting to catch a tennis ball, so it was hard to tell. the Aussie looked
exactly like an Aussie, and the PWD was swimming with only his nose and eyes
exposed, so that was hard to tell too.

anyway, i thought it was pretty cool to see which dogs were rare enough that
most americans wouldn't recognize them. especially when at least two of the
breeds are common enough that there's one in every neighborhood.

-kelly

Old September 18th 04, 01:26 AM
Sionnach

the Pei had almost no snout, just a normal dog nose.

I know at least 4 Shar Peis who look like that; must be somebody around
here breeding a more normal/old-fashioned type.

not much of the black
pigment around the face either.

Erm... I think the black pigment is just a color variation.

the JRT was pretty long in the body,

Plenty of them still like that... despite the efforts of the JRTAA et al,
there's still tremendous variation in the breed, thank goodness.

Old September 18th 04, 02:55 AM
Shelly & The Boys

"culprit" wrote in message

today, my friend pulled out this Life magazine from the 1970's. it had

two
adorable Shar Pei on the cover, and included an article about "rare" dog
breeds. i found it pretty interesting.

I remember that magazine, I think. My Aunt & Uncle that lived up
in Washington had a Shar Pei back in the early 80's. My uncle
had seen some while he was in Asia in the early 70's and had always
liked them. He & his wife obtained one shortly after they married,
I think I was maybe 12...so around 1981'ish?
I remember my Aunt showing me that her dog was the same as the
one on the magazine, maybe that was how she first saw them and
was talked into it by my uncle. :-)
I remember how cute it was as a puppy, and that it had bad allergies
when it was older. I can't even remember his name, but they did
get another one a few years later, and they did show for a bit.
They currently have Pugs, I think, that shey occasionally show now,
and still live up around the Sound somewhere.
Shelly & The Boys