Strange new "quirk" with 1 of our dogs

Old July 9th 04, 07:54 PM
Jake

Default Strange new "quirk" with 1 of our dogs

have posted here before, and i consider myself very good with dog stuff
(training and proper care), but this is baffling me to no end.

here is my question. i have 2 large dogs - 1 fem gsd/husky mix and one of
her pups who is now almost 3 years old. he looks like mostly golden
retreiver and american foxhound. (im giving the background so that maybe a
breed does something that others dont)

both are VERY well behaved and well trained dogs. they listen, come
instantly when called, sit and stay on command, dont touch any food until
the "ok" command is given, ect....

recently the golden/foxhound who is almost 3 has started doing this strange
thing with his mouth.

it takes place especially when i come home after not seeing them for a
while, but has happened and is happening more frequently at other times as
well. this started about a month ago, and seems to be getting worse

he will sit, and open his mouth and gently wrap it around your wrist - not
biting, just open mouth across your arm. we thought that was wierd, and have
been discouraging him from doing that, but he just wont learn.

what is the part that concerns me is that about a week ago, he started
taking that to a different "level" if you will, and now if you are sitting
on the couch he will come up and do the same thing with his mouth open,
toward your shoulder or face. he does not bite, or grab, just opens mouth
wide and "rests" his open mouth there, on your shoulder, neck or chin. the
way he does it makes me think of a baby bird when mommy bird has a worm. we
have been trying to discipline him not to do that, and when he does it, we
tell him NO and then he closes his mouth and licks you.

we are a little worried because this is getting more and more frequent, and
especially when he does that near a face, even tho he doesnt bite, in my
opinion its not proper to have any dog acting like that near anyones face.
he does not go near anyones face except when he gets in a "mood" to do this
new thing. is it that he is starting to "feel" his dominance coming out or
something ?

any ideas ? comments ? on what this is, and/or some ideas how to help get
him to stop. "NO" does not seem to be working, even tho he knows "NO" for
everything else, and is so well trained that he will literally sit and stay
for an hour if i tell him to, with a hunk of raw meat in front of him and
not move. but for some reason he will not stop this new "habit" and its
getting worse. the "mom" gsd/husky does not do this, just him.