Might be useful for some..

Old September 18th 04, 07:49 PM
Diana

Default Might be useful for some..

Cin, my 14 mth old weimaraner cut her foot very badly Thursday b4 last
whilst running across a freshly ploughed field. - flint is a big problem
around here and she had a nigh on 2'' slice hanging off from her pad and
into her leg, which of course meant urgent veterinary treatment.

She was anaesthetised, stitched and sent home with anti biotics and
instructions not to be walked until further notice.

If any of you know what its like to live with an exceedingly high drive dog
that's not allowed walks??? She's not ill or in any particular pain, just
must keep all stress & weight off her foot. She's back to the vets on
Tuesday and hopefully then she will be able to loose the bandaging, 12 days
after her accident.

Worried about how we would cope (her without her 2 hour run and us with a
peeved off weim wanting a 2 hour run, I sought a little advice on the best
herbal treatments that would be gentle enuff to not hurt her but might have
enuff effect to calm her.

We discovered valerian root capsules - natures sleeping pill - for humans
the rec. dosage takes into account the fact that people might want to drive
or operate machinery - for dogs, without any side effects or chemical
toxicity, you can calm your dog. I searched and search and founds nothing to
say it was in anyway unsafe to use except for it makes you sleepy. Ideal for
a high octane dog who's not allowed to run.

Now, morally, I figure there are implications and some might read this and
think they can knock their dog out and escape walkies - I hope to think not
though. I've posted this cos it really has been a bit of a wonder-discover
under cin's circumstance and on realising this, I would maybe keep some in
stock for difficult times - eg, I get caught in a position whereby
untypically, I had to leave her for more than a couple of hours. I can also
see it as being especially useful in circumstances of a dog suffering S/A or
getting used to anew routine -eg. getting a dog used to being left at a time
when it hasn't been b4.

Hope this is useful -

Diana

--
Cindy's web site
http://cindy-incidentally.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk

Old September 18th 04, 09:29 PM

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:49:28 +0100, "Diana"
wrote:

We discovered valerian root capsules - natures sleeping pill - for humans
the rec. dosage takes into account the fact that people might want to drive
or operate machinery - for dogs, without any side effects or chemical
toxicity, you can calm your dog.

oh my. first of all, valerian is a chemical. it most certainly
*does* have a toxicity level. symptoms of overdose in humans may
include weak heartbeat, light-headedness, blurred vision, stomach
cramping, chest tightness, hand tremor, and paralysis.

secondly, i don't believe for a minute that it has no side effects in
dogs. in humans, it can cause headache, dizziness, nausea, and, more
importantly, it can affect cardiac rhythms.

I searched and search and founds nothing to
say it was in anyway unsafe to use except for it makes you sleepy. Ideal for
a high octane dog who's not allowed to run.

apparently, you didn't search very thoroughly. i found the above info
in the first Google hit when searching for valerian + "side effects".
if it were me, i wouldn't be comfortable giving it to my dogs.

--
shelly (perfectly foul wench) and elliott & harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is
the source of all true art and science.
-- Albert Einstein