Natural Ear Boxer

Old July 17th 03, 03:38 PM
Tara O.

Default Natural Ear Boxer

"Darby Wiggins" wrote in message
I've begun to create my list of "maybe someday" breeds that I would
love to have and the boxer is on that list. I was wondering though, that
if a buyer wanted to purchase a pup from a reputable breeder and was not
at all interested in conformation, just a good family pet with a
healthy/stable background, could they request that the ears not be
cropped if they preferred the natural look to the cropped look?

Yes. Most show breeders don't crop until after 8 weeks of age anyway and
they only do so on the dogs kept back for showing or who are going to show
homes. If you want a pet-pup cropped then you'd be expected to do it
yourself. Docking is the only surgical procedure done on the puppies when
they're still with the breeder and its done around the age of 3 days old.

While if I were to purchase a boxer, I'd take either as it doesn't
change how much I'd love the dog, but if given the choice, I'd prefer
the look of the natural ear. How do breeders feel about this? Do they
feel that since they are the breeder and their reputation is invested in
the dog, that it ought to conform to standards as much as possible and
therefore, deny a potential owners request for natural ears? or is it a
breeder by breeder decision?

I don't know of a single show and/or ethical Boxer breeder who cares about
the ears on a non-show dog. Its just not that important and in the passing
years, natureal-eared Boxers have actually become as popular..possibly more
popular..with the general public as the cropped ones. Natural-eared Boxers
aren't considered less than or out of conformation. There are even a few
breeders challenging the AKC & ABC by showing natural-eared Boxers. I'm
really glad about it too. I don't have a moral issue with cropping, I just
don't like the look as much as the natural ears and feel that both ear types
should be acceptable in the ring. As of 2 years ago, there were 7 judges
known to point natural-eared Boxers. I would imagine there are even more
now so that goes to show how acceptable not-cropping has become.

--
Tara

Old July 17th 03, 04:01 PM
culprit

"Tara O." wrote in message

I don't know of a single show and/or ethical Boxer breeder who cares about
the ears on a non-show dog. Its just not that important and in the

passing
years, natureal-eared Boxers have actually become as popular..possibly

more
popular..with the general public as the cropped ones.

gonna have to agree with this. Boxers are one of the most popular breeds at
the local parks, and the only one i've ever seen with cropped ears is 15
years old. none of the younger dogs have them cropped.

i'm happy to see a return of natural ears. they're so soft and nice to play
with.

Old July 17th 03, 04:08 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

"Tara O." wrote in news:[email protected]
92443.news.uni-berlin.de:

You won't see me there as I'm banned

If you don't mind me asking, why did you get banned??

Marcel Beaudoin & Moogli

'This is a lot of tripe; you know
that.'--The Brain

Old July 17th 03, 04:14 PM
Tara O.

"Marcel Beaudoin" wrote in message
. 1.4...
"Tara O." wrote in news:[email protected]
92443.news.uni-berlin.de:

You won't see me there as I'm banned

If you don't mind me asking, why did you get banned??

I had the temerity to disagree with a moderator. The moderators aren't
restricted from joining in threads with their own opinions which IMO leaves
them open to being disagreed with. One particular moderator was a total
*itch anyway. I disagreed with something she said, no flaming involved, and
found myself on the list of posters "under watch". One of our volunteers at
the time had gained moderator status there and said something totally
inappropriate as well as something that goes against the ethics of the
American Boxer Rescue Association as well as those of our own rescue (we
adhere to ABRA COE and then some). When I disagreed with what she said
publicly then confronted her privately about some duplicity I'd learned of,
I was banned.

--
Tara

Old July 17th 03, 04:42 PM
Tara O.

"Darby Wiggins" wrote in message
Tar and Mud E Paws, and anyone else....

Those breeds that dock tails, how is it done? are they cut between the

bone ect?
and at such a young age, how to do you know how short to dock it? Bc i'm a

ESS
lover and work with MAESSR, (which is of course, not rescuing for the most

part,
well breed ESS) and have seen quiet a difference in the length of the

dock. Is
there a standard length for the dock and how to do you judge it when they

are so
young and yet to grow?

I can't speak for ESS but the standard for Boxers is the use of a nickel for
correct length. Placing a nickel at the very base of the tail and docking
there, on a 3-day-old Boxer puppy should give you the appropriate nub length
in an adult. There are vets who just eyeball it and tend to get it wrong.
We've had Boxers with literally no nub, the tail was snipped into the back,
behind the anus. We've also had some with nubs that were 6-8" long.

--
Tara

Old July 17th 03, 04:57 PM
Mud E Poz

docking
there, on a 3-day-old Boxer puppy should give you the appropriate nub length
in an adult. There are vets who just eyeball it and tend to get it wrong.
We've had Boxers with literally no nub, the tail was snipped into the

With ESS, a bit longer..so use a quarter. At 2 days old, no bone, all
cartiledge, and my pups complain they are away from mom and that is about
it...My vet messed up my show puppy litter, cut them too short! But two out of
four finished anyhow
Old July 17th 03, 05:01 PM
Darby Wiggins

Are they just cut with a scalpel or is a tourniquet used? how is the actual cut
made and do the pups get any pain medication or is it one of those think like a
baby getting a vaccine, it just hurts for a moment and may be tender for a few
days, but nothing some attention from mom wouldn't fix....

Darby

Old July 17th 03, 05:28 PM
Mud E Poz

Are they just cut with a scalpel or is a tourniquet used? how is the actual
cut
made and do the pups get any pain medication or is it one of those think like
baby getting a vaccine, it just hurts for a moment and may be tender for a
few
days, but nothing some attention

Cut with a scapel at end of quarter. No bone at this point, and nerves are not
fully formed...they barely squawk. They are then either chemically cauterized
or stitched. Lengths on Field breds differ, they tend to like them much
longer, and include a white tip.