serious infection - FOXTAIL?

Old November 4th 03, 07:50 AM
JeanT

Default serious infection - FOXTAIL?

About 3 weeks ago our 6-year-old border collie, Buddy, began showing
strange symptoms that something was wrong. Mostly it was his gait --
his rear legs just didn't coordinate the way they should, and for a
border collie that is VERY unusual. He had a slight fever (although
we didn't take a rectal temp, we could tell from his nose and
demeanor).
Then his gait got worse. The best way I could describe it is
"jello legs," like he just temporarily lost control of them and they
gave out. This is a dog who has never had any trouble with arthritis
or anything like that. He has had tick protection, too, so it
shouldn't be Lyme's. But after the jello legs, he would immediately
get right up again and take off merrily on his walk. He has always
been such a happy, wonderful dog.
His fever seemed to get worse, too, and then he developed a "gag"
which sounded like he wanted to expel something but couldn't. The gag
was most noticeable during activity, excitement or eating, and rarely
noticeable when at rest. And his abdomen was distended, as if there
were excess fluid in it. So we made an appointment with the vet.
Since we live in a remote area in Alaska, it meant that my husband had
to drive him through the mountains (on a road that was no longer being
maintained through the winter), about a 10-hour drive one-way.
We knew Buddy had been eating grass this summer, and we also knew
that we have foxtail growing in our yard. This year in particular,
the dry (most dangerous) foxtail has been quite profuse because we
didn't have early snow and it remained accessible. I collected a
sample of the foxtail from our yard and sent it with my husband to
show the vet.
The vet took blood tests, x-rays, tubed his esophagus, fed him
IV's, gave him antibiotics, and said he thought he had an infection or
fungus, but he didn't know where or what kind. Sent him home with
Zeniquin for 14 days. He didn't really think foxtail was the problem.
At that point, I think he did all he could with the symptoms he could
see or measure.
That was 2 weeks ago. We have been administering the Zeniquin and
feeding him with defatted unsalted chicken with boiled rice and
carrots. (He LOVES it.) He has continuously eaten really good,
although the cough has never gone away. Meanwhile, it became
increasingly difficult for him to move his hind legs. Strangely, he
continued to REALLY want to go for a walk, but he would get out there
and just give out. It became more and more difficult for him to go up
and down stairs. About 5 days ago he stopped drinking water entirely
-- maybe that was because he was getting lots of chicken broth with
his food -- but we wondered. He wasn't pooping normally either -
seemed constipated, and when he did poop it was just a few little
balls. And for a couple days he has been obsessively licking his
belly. We decided to take him back to the vet. THIS time it meant
putting him on the plane, because our road is no longer passable.
Today Buddy and my husband left on the little 4-seater plane. Both
passengers got Dramanine in respective doses. They made it just fine,
although Buddy slightly chewed up the sleeping bag in his crate.
Just before they left, we were petting Buddy, I was crying
(thinking I might not ever see him again), and he rolled over on his
back for more pets. For the first time we noticed an area near his
groin near the upper leg that had some nasty blackish areas. It's a
location you don't normally see unless you pull the leg out and look
into the fold. I am wondering if maybe it could be a foxtail.
PLEASE -- if anyone has had a similar experience, let me know.
Mostly I would like to know what the point of entry looks like ... if
the foxtail has been in the dog for a while, could there be a blackish
looking area under the skin? It's not spots, like skin cancer --
more like blood vessels.
Sorry for the long story, but wanted to try to include most of his
saga. The poor little guy has been through so much. I told my
husband to make sure they do absolutely EVERYTHING they can to make
him well again. We hope it's not too late. We think we have a pretty
good vet, but still we know WE are responsible for our baby, and if we
have to demand the best care, we will!
Old November 4th 03, 01:21 PM
buglady

"JeanT" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Look around here if the items below don't ring a bell:
http://www.vetinfo.com

http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dthrombo...rombocytopenia
Endocrine disorders - might be worth an ACTH stimulation test for Addison's.
I had a dog with Addison's and walking problems and inappetance were
symptoms, though with this disease the symptoms can be vague and diffuse and
first blood tests may not reveal an imbalance in Na and K:
http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/daddison.html
Cushings can cause pendulous belly
http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dcushing.html
Lameness:
http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/doglame.html
Tick diseaes other than Lyme:
http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/derlick.html
Ehrlichia infection can cause a number of clinical signs. It can be
extremely hard to diagnose due to the wide range of symptoms that can occur.
Most dogs infected with this organism will have be lethargic, lose weight,
show less interest in food and become anemic. Other possible clinical signs
include hemorrhages under the skin or in around the gums, swollen lymph
nodes, muscular or joint soreness, nasal discharges or nosebleeds, severe
neck or back pain, blood in the urine and eye problems ranging from exudates
to severe inflammation of the internal eye structures. Neurologic signs such
as seizures and difficulty walking can occur. Respiratory or heart related
signs can occur due to hemorrhaging and compensation for anemia if it
becomes severe. Hemorrhaging occurs primarly due to decrease in platelet
counts from the infection. While most dogs show a number of symptoms when
first infected with Ehrlichia, there is also a chronic infection that can
occur if the acute infection is not treated. In this case, the dog may
appear to be normal or may show vague signs of illness occasionally. This is
one cause of the complaint that "my dog just isn't doing right". The chronic
illness can suddenly become very severe again if the dog is stressed in some
manner or become less immune competent for some reason.

The best method of diagnosing this disease is through testing of serum from
the dog using an immunofluorescent antibody (IFA) test. Unfortunately, a
positive test only indicates exposure

Side effects of Zeniquin: http://www.zeniquin.com/body_04.htm
Studies on Zeniquin:
http://www.fda.gov/cvm/efoi/section2/141-151062699.pdf.

Good luck to you and your pup. Let us know what happens please!

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old November 4th 03, 07:46 PM
Tallgrass

"buglady" wrote in message ink.net...

snipped here

[...]

Very thorough!!

As for foxtails....usually they get embedded in the skin, under the
nails, and then abcess. Draining the abcess and removing the foreign
body is usually sufficient.

Sounds like this dog has something systemic, at this point in time.
Hope he improves.

Linda H.

Old November 5th 03, 03:33 AM
diddy

Posting this again, because I just realized my target is reading from
google, and I posted no-archive.

I just recieved an email asking me to respond to a post on Foxtails and
dogs. I missed the thread, and therefore am starting one of my own, as I
have not been a regular reader of this group, and until I got the heads up,
I had already cleared and tossed out all unread threads

After having a dog suffer from a grass seed (fox tail awn) that he
contacted a year ago, but finally showed signs last August (2003)that
something was wrong (It took nine months! And it showed dark black skin and
puffiness in his armpit, general maliase, and droopy eyelids. His
temperature was normal. His bloodwork was normal. His organ profiles were
normal.. He was shallow panting. His exrays showed he had a lung problem
and surgery scheduled the following day.
This was the surgery
http://shell2.lomag.net/~moosedog/surgery/

Old November 5th 03, 05:20 AM
JeanT

MANY THANKS to you, Buglady, and you too, Linda. My eyes are now
crossed from all of that reading! Erlichia sounded the closest, but
still there were so many symptoms he didn't have, or even had the
exact opposite. But as it said, that disease can be hard to pin down.

Buddy saw the vet today. Some things are encouraging -- his heart is
good, he didn't need any immediate shots or IV's, and he had gained
weight since there 2 weeks ago. Vet now thinks it could be
tick-related, possibly causing neuro problems. (Other possibilities
are a fungus or even cancer.) Again, he didn't think foxtail was the
problem.

He took LOTS of blood (from both front legs) and sent out a number of
tests. Buddy was put on Doxycycl HYC, Prednisone, and Carafate. From
what I understand, they are an antibiotic typically used for
tick-borne diseases, an anti-inflammatory steroid, and something to
settle his stomach when he takes the Prednisone.

He goes back again tomorrow. I don't know if they will have the test
results done yet. Anyway, Buddy and Nick are going to stay there
until they and the vet feel pretty confident that something is going
to work.

I don't understand why it would affect only the hind limbs, but
suppose a neuro problem would depend upon which nerves were attacked.

We live in an area that doesn't have ticks (Alaska) -- sounds pretty
good to all of you down there who live with them, eh? We used to live
in Wisconsin, so believe me, I remember the little suckers. Anyway,
the last time Bud could have been exposed to them was this past June
when he and Nick went back to Wisconsin. At that time the vet
recommended a flea/tick collar, and he wore it the whole time.....

Thanks to everyone for lighting candles for our sweetheart, and for
all of your good thoughts.

Jean

Old November 5th 03, 11:35 AM
buglady

"JeanT" wrote in message
om...
Vet now thinks it could be
tick-related, possibly causing neuro problems. (Other possibilities
are a fungus or even cancer.) Again, he didn't think foxtail was the
problem.

.......I would still keep Addison's disease in the back of your head. If
it's Addison's the pred may make things better temporarily. Untreated
Addison's can lead to a crash, which is life threatening. Might be worth
asking for a test while you're there to rule it out if he hasn't already
done that.

I don't understand why it would affect only the hind limbs, but
suppose a neuro problem would depend upon which nerves were attacked.

......I'm assuming that X-rays were taken initially?

..........Hoping they get it figured out and your pup recovers.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Cushing's Disease? Something else, hopefully less serious? CG Dog health 0 October 2nd 03 03:51 AM
Not suspected ear mites but yeast infection shelly Dog health 13 August 7th 03 07:44 AM
Ear Infection dotmcs Dog health 13 August 4th 03 09:25 AM
sheltie nose infection Melinda Carney Dog health 1 July 21st 03 06:26 AM
inner ear infection Deb Dog health 1 July 7th 03 03:32 AM