CNN: dogs smell cancer

Old September 24th 04, 01:07 PM
Cate

Default CNN: dogs smell cancer

They can smell it, but the 64k question is can they be trained to tell you
when you have it?

I liked the following two anecdotes from the article. Orson has done
similar things (though I've never been diagnosed with cancer).

[...]
The idea that they may be able to smell cancer was first put forward in
1989 by two London dermatologists, who described the case of a woman asking
for a mole to be cut out of her leg because her dog would constantly sniff
at it, even through her trousers, but ignore all her other moles.

One day, the dog had tried to bite the mole off when the woman was wearing
shorts.

It turned out she had malignant melanoma -- a deadly form of skin cancer.
But it was caught early enough to save her life.

Then in 2001, another pair of English doctors reported a similar case of a
man with a patch of eczema on his leg for 18 years, until one day his pet
labrador started to persistently sniff the patch, again through his
trousers.

It turned out the man had developed skin cancer and, once the tumor was cut
out, the dog showed no further interest in the eczema patch.
[...]

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/09/23....ap/index.html

Cate
Old September 24th 04, 10:28 PM
Susan Fraser

My goldens are always - um - shall we say *friendly* when people come in our
house.
But for a time, SheBop became downright embarrasing.

When my FIL would come over SheBop would goose him repeatedly. Unless I made
her stop, she would bury her nose in his crotch the whole time he was here. I
don't recall exactly when it started, but I do know it was quite a few months
before he was diagnosed with cancer (lymphoma).

He had two rounds of chemo (obviously he wasn't around SheBop during that
time). And for a few years now he's been free and clear of cnacer at evey
check-up.

SheBop is still very friendly to him, but she does not goose him any more.

Coincidence??

Susan Fraser, owned and trained by
BeBop a Lu SheBop SH,
Shamma Lamma Ding Dong MH,
and Gris Gris Gumbo YaYa
http://mypeoplepc.com/members/chinch...densinthenews/

Old September 24th 04, 11:00 PM
Suja

Cate wrote:

I think NOT!

Agreed.

Maybe you could train SheBop to sniff it out on purpose. That would be so
cool.

Although she would have to learn not to goose the sick people. Pretty
sure non-dog people won't understand.

Suja