Puppy training and small dog

Old September 24th 04, 07:46 PM
Travis

Default Puppy training and small dog

Okay so i have an Akita who is 3 months old, but she has a major
downfall, she poo's in the house. She wont pee, she'll only Poo, how
can i stop her from doing this? I dont want to really use mean force
b/c that is really bad for Akita's, atleast to my knowledge, but i've
tried nearly everything else. There are only a couple places she'll
go but she does go and it sucks. I am planing on getting my carpets
cleaned with some petstuff this weekend, but what else can i do to
make her stop?

Also I have a puppy toy poodle at home, when i got Yuki (my akita) he
was 5months old, and she was only like 7 weeks. They have gotten
along really well and have even ate out of the same bowl, I understand
that akitas are food agressive and i'm afraid that she might go back
to her Breed Specific food aggressive, for that reason everytime i
feed them i watch them, and they have done really well.

Yuki (akita) is a girl, and Kodi (Toy Poodle) is a male. So with them
being different gender i'm hoping that Yuki and Kodi wont be agressive
towards each other, so far they've done really well. Akita's are
agressive with other dogs mostly of the same sex so i hope this wont
carry over to her being agressive towards Kodi, whenever they are
together i do watch them really well. I love both the dogs and they
have bassically grown up together from a puppy, and they still are
:-P, I hope they will be nice towards each other, what can/could i do
to ensure that they are happy and non-agressive towards each other.

Btw you should all know that they play chase all the time and Kodi
wins....
Old September 24th 04, 08:29 PM
J1Boss

From: (Travis)

Okay so i have an Akita who is 3 months old, but she has a major
downfall, she poo's in the house. She wont pee, she'll only Poo, how
can i stop her from doing this? I dont want to really use mean force
b/c that is really bad for Akita's, atleast to my knowledge, but i've
tried nearly everything else.

What kind of "mean force" do you imagine could possibly help this problem?

The keys to successful housebreaking:

Schedule - meals and outings
Measure - quality food, spread out over a few meals per pup's age
Supervise - the puppy should be in whatever room your are in, at all times.
Safely confine - when you can't be supervising (i.e. - showering/bathing,
sleeping, not home, occupied with something complicated or dangerous -
painting, using chemicals, home improvement, etc).
Clean thoroughly - that means with carpet, cleaning from a wider circle inward,
with an enzymatic cleaner such as Nature's Miracle. Block her favorite areas
for several days.

They have gotten
along really well and have even ate out of the same bowl, I understand
that akitas are food agressive and i'm afraid that she might go back
to her Breed Specific food aggressive, for that reason everytime i
feed them i watch them, and they have done really well.

They are VERY different puppies and should be eating out of their own bowls
only, with amounts and food types appropriate for their preferred growth rate.
That would be true even if she wasn't an Akita, a breed which is indeed dog
aggressive.

So with them
being different gender i'm hoping that Yuki and Kodi wont be agressive
towards each other, so far they've done really well. Akita's are
agressive with other dogs mostly of the same sex so i hope this wont
carry over to her being agressive towards Kodi, whenever they are
together i do watch them really well.

I assume they are both safely confined from each other when you aren't home?
Why did you decide to get two such different breeds so close to each other in
age?

Some Akitas do really well with other animals, particularly ones they live with
and have been brought up with. Opposite genders is a plus.

They should both be getting obedience training. Is there more than one person
in the household? You can each take one pup to class. Training makes a great
deal of impact on home and social behaviors. Supervise, use common sense and
train. And realize that she's a very young puppy still, and is bound to make a
few mistakes.

Janet Boss
http://bestfriendsdogobedience.com/
http://photos.yahoo.com/bestfriendsobedience

Old September 24th 04, 08:29 PM
J1Boss

Old September 24th 04, 08:29 PM
J1Boss

Old September 24th 04, 10:45 PM
Leah

(Travis) wrote:
Okay so i have an Akita who is 3 months old, but she has a major
downfall, she poo's in the house.

So you have a normal 3 month old puppy? :}

This link should help you:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/potty-training.html

I understand
that akitas are food agressive and i'm afraid that she might go back
to her Breed Specific food aggressive, for that reason everytime i
feed them i watch them, and they have done really well.

Good. I'm glad you're watching them. Keep in mind that at 3 months old, your
akita is still a baby. There can still be major changes when she starts to
reach adolescence, at about 6 months, even if you don't see any signs of them
now.

Yuki (akita) is a girl, and Kodi (Toy Poodle) is a male. So with them
being different gender i'm hoping that Yuki and Kodi wont be agressive
towards each other,

Much less chance of it.

I hope they will be nice towards each other, what can/could i do
to ensure that they are happy and non-agressive towards each other.

I had an akita in one of my classes who made some amazing changes because of
socialization. When he first came to class, he was aloof and a little bit shy.
By the end, he was the friendliest pup in class, with the best doggie
communication skills.

The last time I saw him was when he graduated, at about 5 months old. There
were no signs that he was going to turn into a typical akita at that time,
instead of the golden in the akita suit he had become.

But I couldn't tell you that he won't at some point become dog-aggressive.
He's much more likely to remain friendly than an akita who wasn't socialized,
though.

If you haven't enrolled your girl in a class, I'd do it immediately. You have
a young puppy with a very open mind, but she won't stay that way for long.
It's the perfect time to start training and socializing her as much as
possible.

As for the relationship at home, I'd recommend that you stay diligent in
watching them together. Like I said, she's still a baby, and has some major
attitude adjustments coming up. :}

If there are any scuffles over the food dish, even a raised lip, I'd stop
feeding them out of the same dish. That's kind of pushing it. You don't want
to set them up for trouble.

Canine Action Dog Trainer
http://www.canineaction.com
My Kids, My Students, My Life: