Temporarily moving my Invisible Fence

Old September 26th 04, 03:50 AM
MSA

Default Temporarily moving my Invisible Fence

We currently have an Invisible Fence system installed, but will soon
be leaving our property while our home is demolished and rebuilt.
We'll be renting a home that does not have an IF. My thinking is to
take the transmitter with us, and do a "quick" non-permanent
installation at the rental...I'd like to bury the wire only where
necessary, etc, and I don't want to spend an arm and a leg to have the
IF people come bury wire for me.

I think we'll likely fence in 2-4 acres...I believe this means we'll
use 14 gauage wire. Will anything off the shelf at Home Depot do the
trick? What are the tricks in laying the wire out? What's the deal
with twisting the wire? How do you do that and what does it
accomplish? Will I be okay leaving the wire on the ground for about 8
months? What else should I think about?

Thanks.
Old September 26th 04, 04:34 AM
zxcvbob

MSA wrote:

We currently have an Invisible Fence system installed, but will soon
be leaving our property while our home is demolished and rebuilt.
We'll be renting a home that does not have an IF. My thinking is to
take the transmitter with us, and do a "quick" non-permanent
installation at the rental...I'd like to bury the wire only where
necessary, etc, and I don't want to spend an arm and a leg to have the
IF people come bury wire for me.

I think we'll likely fence in 2-4 acres...I believe this means we'll
use 14 gauage wire. Will anything off the shelf at Home Depot do the
trick? What are the tricks in laying the wire out? What's the deal
with twisting the wire? How do you do that and what does it
accomplish? Will I be okay leaving the wire on the ground for about 8
months? What else should I think about?

Thanks.

For an area that big put up a real electric fence so Dog has a chance to
see where it is, and it will keep other dogs out. One wire, about a
foot off the ground.

Bob

Old September 27th 04, 01:31 AM
Elizabeth Naime

Bob, wouldn't it be very easy for a dog to avoid a single foot-high
wire? One of my dogs would probably hop over it (she believes in
shortcuts) and never learn that it was "hot" at all! Same possible
problem with other dogs in the neighborhood.

Why not use the same equipment -- electric fence fenceposts and wire --
to run the IF perimiter wire? I don't know enough about the electronics
to know if you could just substitute electric fencing wire, but if not,
big spools of genuine IF wire can no doubt be purchased and running them
above ground on elecric fence posts would certainly work.

The dog would have the same visual reminder (and if the dog has been in
an invisible fence for a long time, he's probably boundary trained and
could be taught the new boundaries easily; as you point out, if he's
boundary trained he'll never get buzzed, or at least he shouldn't if
he's properly introduced to the new fence). It wouldn't keep other dogs
out, but that is a problem with invisible fencing in general and appears
to be one that the owners don't have an issue with.
Only know that there is no spork.

Old September 27th 04, 02:28 AM
zxcvbob

Elizabeth Naime wrote:
Bob, wouldn't it be very easy for a dog to avoid a single foot-high
wire? One of my dogs would probably hop over it (she believes in
shortcuts) and never learn that it was "hot" at all! Same possible
problem with other dogs in the neighborhood.

It has been my experience that the dog will walk into the wire one time
(without seeing it) and get zapped, or he will see it, sniff it, and get
zapped on the nose. Eventually, he will go back to see what it was that
bit him, and he'll see the wire. I've never had one that would go over
or under an electric fence after getting zapped once or twice. In fact,
I seldom have the fence around my garden electrified. My dog someimes
goes right up next to it to show just how close she can get but she
won't cross it. (if it were a fence around my yard to keep her in, I
would have to electrify it again at this point.)

I think IF's are cruel because the doog can't see or smell it.
Traditional electric fences are kind of harsh, but not cruel because Dog
can see it. Also, it keeps other dogs out where the IF doesn't. Your
dog is trapped in the yard and other dogs can go in and out -- That's
why I really prefer chain link or wooden privacy fences.

Bob