ESS Feeding Question

Old July 17th 03, 05:10 PM
Darby Wiggins

Default ESS Feeding Question

Well, I'm full of lots of questions today...I"ve been doing my
research on ESS's as I'm adopting one in the next 6-8 months and want to
be as prepared as possible. My pup will be a rescue, so no idea what
"issues" he/she will come with, so I'm doing reading on issues that
ESS's are prone to so I can get a good idea what to expect or be on the
lookout for as we grow old together.

Once question I do have is about feeding. In all the books, ng's and
interviews with ESS people, I've gotten mixed messages. I know that
bloat is an issue for larger dogs and some owners feel that they should
be feed from food and water bowls that are lifted up off the ground.
I've also heard that rigorous exercise should be avoided 1-2 hours
before and after food. Even though ESS's are smaller, they are active.
Would I be advised to feed upright and keep rigorous exercise to a min
for 1-2 hours before food and after? or is this really not an issue with
ESS's (obviously, my dog will come with habits and may not be willing to
eat upright, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it)

Thanks
Darby

Old July 17th 03, 05:20 PM
Mud E Poz

Bloat can occur in the deeper chested show ESS, but it isn't that common. My
beasts get fed on the floor, with kibble, and inhale in about 3 seconds. I
could pour it directly into their gullets I don't let them run around right
after, but they seem to be fine, since 1969 From the vet stuff I have read,
it isn't suggested to raise bowls, it could make the problem worse...
Old July 17th 03, 06:23 PM

Ok, I've gotta ask cause I can't seem to think of what dog it could stand
for, which breed does ESS stand for?

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old July 17th 03, 06:31 PM
Mud E Poz

Ok, I've gotta ask cause I can't seem to think of what dog it could stand
for, which breed does ESS stand for?

Alice

Around here, they are technicolored whifflehounds, but in other parts of the
world, they are English springer spaniels. Here are three TWH for your viewing
pleasu

http://hometown.aol.com/mudepoz/myhomepage/dog.html

Old July 18th 03, 03:13 AM
TrotMW

Mud E Poz wrote:
Around here, they are technicolored whifflehounds, but in other parts of the
world, they are English springer spaniels. Here are three TWH for your
viewing
pleasu

Around here TWH is Tennessee Walking Horse. You had me very confused for a
moment! lol

Old July 18th 03, 01:43 PM
Paul Mathew Correa

Isn't that whay Lady was from Lady and the Tramp?

Old July 18th 03, 03:00 PM
Mud E Poz

Isn't that whay Lady was from Lady and the Tramp?

Lady was cocker spaniel. Close cousins, up until closed stud books in the
1900, they were the same breed

Question [email protected] Dog breeds 6 July 15th 03 04:23 AM
oops another puppy wiz_zard question [Je**rr*y] MaryBeth Dog breeds 0 July 14th 03 07:25 PM
Question for breeders Tara O. Dog breeds 12 July 13th 03 03:28 PM
Question on breed Marcel Beaudoin Dog breeds 30 July 11th 03 03:01 PM
Dew Claw Question Suja Dog breeds 9 July 8th 03 06:51 PM