Earth dog results

Old July 19th 04, 01:20 PM
Judy

Default Earth dog results

We just did two days of Earthdog tests with the schnauzers. I had both dogs
entered in Intro to Quarry (which is a non-titling event) and then when he
did so well in practice, I entered Spenser also in Junior Earthdog.

Saturday Sassy went straight down her tunnel. Attacked the rat and then
came right back out WAY too soon. They sent her down again and had DH come
around and encourage her. With his help, she did her 30 seconds of work and
they were hopeful for Sunday's run. Expecially when she really enjoyed the
afternoon's game of Ratting For Ratings and really got into attacking the
rat in the tube.

Sunday turned rainy (an understatement - see Spenser's account below) but
Sassy did even better in the tunnel. Didn't come back out this time but
still needed some encouragement to work for the full time. Very promising
though.

Spenser, on Saturday, raced through his Intro tunnel - as we expected and
passed that test. Half an hour later, he got to do the Junior tunnel. He
raced through the tunnel and attacked the rat. Worked at him for the full
60 seconds required. The judge said "Come around and get your qualfying
schnauzer" (a cheer went up from the crowd - literally!) and when I got
there and we lifted the lid, he was GONE! They have to come out of the
tunnel by the rat. He gave up on us and backed out of the tunnel and came
around.

I think the judge felt even worse than we did. And Spenser, of course,
didn't care at all. The judge searched the rules for any possible loophole
or technicality but couldn't find a way to give him his leg.

So we were very hopeful for Sunday. Saturday's Junior judge was doing the
Intro course and Spenser was first on the line. We decided to let him work
*that* rat for 60 seconds rather than 30, just to reinforce the longer time
in his mind. No problem - another Pass and a ribbon.

By the time we ran in Juniors it was raining. No, that's not the word. It
was a complete deluge. You could not see the length of the field through
the downpour. We kept the dogs wrapped up in towels.but at 60 degrees, they
were getting chilled. When I took Spenser up to the line, the judge was
shifting paperwork - trying desperately to keep it dry - and we got even
more soaked. I put Spenser down and he went straight through the tunnel.
He worked the rat. Maybe ten seconds. And then it got quiet. The judge
said "He's left the rat". At my end of the tunnel, there were two little
beady eyes and the most pitiful looking schnauzer you ever saw. Very wet.
Very muddy - those tunnels collect water when it rains. And getting cold.

He got a LOT of praise for even tryinig to do the silly things we humans ask
them to do. And now we'll have to more seriously consider that next trial
in late August - the one we had decided we did not have to do. Maybe now we
do.

The judges we had were really encouraging. They were all really pleased to
see two schnauzers there - and two who so obviously had the "right stuff".
We heard over and over how wonderful it was to have schnauzers there and
that they were doing incredibly well. We heard a lot of comments (judges
too) that there were doubts when schnauzers were originally allowed in
Earthdog but they were certainly proving their right to be there.

So it was, in spite of not meeting our high hopes, a good weekend. Lots of
great people all having fun with their dogs. And even without the official
qualifying score, we all know that SPENSER DID IT!

Now it's time for agility again!
--
~~Judy
When life gives you lemons, ask for tequila and salt.

Earth dog results Judy Dog behavior 29 July 21st 04 08:04 AM
Earth dog results Judy Dog behavior 0 July 19th 04 01:24 PM
Earth dog results Judy Dog behavior 0 July 19th 04 01:20 PM
Earth dog results Judy Dog behavior 0 July 19th 04 01:20 PM
Still Waiting on the Test Results for Bo Jag795 Dog behavior 3 July 29th 03 04:23 AM