Angel + agility = perfect fit

Old September 28th 04, 04:26 AM
Debbie the Dogged

Default Angel + agility = perfect fit

Some of you remember that one of the main reasons I kept Angel (my
alleged foster dog) was because she appeared to be a great agility
prospect. Well, we've just completed our 3rd agility class in an
Agility 101 course, and the girl has IT. In large doses. She
absolutely loves it. So far she's been introduced to jumps, the tire,
dogwalk, tunnel and chute, and we just started weave poles. I've been
able to drop the leash after one or two run-throughs with it on each
obstacle, and whenever I put it back on she dances around "Aw, mom, I
want to go again!". She's incredibly motivated by praise and people
cheering her on (and the treats don't hurt either). It's such a joy to
have a dog who really really enjoys this!

There's a smooth border collie in my class: I didn't even know they
came in smooth until I met this dog. Very cute. Plus an 8 month old
Cardigan Corgi, all feet and ears. Name of Stumpy :-). Absolutely
adorable.
--
Debbie the Dogged das at spamcop dot net
"Poodles are space aliens who think they've disguised
Old September 29th 04, 02:57 AM
culprit

"Debbie the Dogged" wrote in message
Some of you remember that one of the main reasons I kept Angel (my
alleged foster dog) was because she appeared to be a great agility
prospect. Well, we've just completed our 3rd agility class in an
Agility 101 course, and the girl has IT. In large doses. She
absolutely loves it. So far she's been introduced to jumps, the tire,
dogwalk, tunnel and chute, and we just started weave poles. I've been
able to drop the leash after one or two run-throughs with it on each
obstacle, and whenever I put it back on she dances around "Aw, mom, I
want to go again!". She's incredibly motivated by praise and people
cheering her on (and the treats don't hurt either). It's such a joy to
have a dog who really really enjoys this!

so when can i come watch? :-)

-kelly

Old September 29th 04, 11:40 AM
Sionnach

"Debbie the Dogged" wrote:

we've just completed our 3rd agility class in an
Agility 101 course, and the girl has IT. In large doses. She
absolutely loves it.

Yay! It's so much fun to work with a dog like that.

She dances around "Aw, mom, I
want to go again!". She's incredibly motivated by praise and people
cheering her on (and the treats don't hurt either). It's such a joy to
have a dog who really really enjoys this!

You've probably seen me say this before, but... my agility instructor says
that dogs do agility for one or more of three reasons: some do it because
they like to please and work for their handler, some for the rewards they
get, and some - this is the rarest trait - because they intrinsically enjoy
doing the obstacles.
Dogs who do it for only one reason are harder to work with - the ones who
only do it for the handler usually being the most difficult.
Most dogs who do well in agility do it for at least two reasons; the dogs
who do *best* tend to be those who do it for all three. Sounds like you've
got a 3-reason dog. ;-)

Old September 29th 04, 03:12 PM
Debbie the Dogged

says...

"Debbie the Dogged" wrote in message
Some of you remember that one of the main reasons I kept Angel (my
alleged foster dog) was because she appeared to be a great agility
prospect. Well, we've just completed our 3rd agility class in an
Agility 101 course, and the girl has IT. In large doses. She
absolutely loves it. So far she's been introduced to jumps, the tire,
dogwalk, tunnel and chute, and we just started weave poles. I've been
able to drop the leash after one or two run-throughs with it on each
obstacle, and whenever I put it back on she dances around "Aw, mom, I
want to go again!". She's incredibly motivated by praise and people
cheering her on (and the treats don't hurt either). It's such a joy to
have a dog who really really enjoys this!

so when can i come watch? :-)

It's in barn in Issaquah, and I'm sure the teacher won't mind if you
come and watch. There are some really cute dogs in the class: we're up
to one regular border collie, one smooth border collie, one Heinz-57
largish dog, one American Eskimo, one Shitzu, Angel, and my personal-
favorite-after-Angel, an absolutely adorable 9 month old black and white
Cardigan Corgi named Stumpy.

If you're serious, email me and I'll send you directions/time.