Help Quick! Pound Puppy too shy...

Old September 28th 04, 11:59 PM
J1Boss

Default Help Quick! Pound Puppy too shy...

I've had a lot of things give me headaches over the years, but never a
Lab puppy.

Yes, they can be a handful for some, but most of us (Lab people)
wouldn't change one hair on their wiggly little butts.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

We're (Franklin and I) are going out to see a retriever training weekly. He
has a new lab pup - a prospect. She is 10 weeks old now and what a lovely
puppy. Full of **** and vinegar, but settles in my arms nicely and gives great
little kisses. Reminds me of a hairier black dog I love.........

I wonder if this OP is using the same techniques with this shelter pup, as s/he
did with the GSD. That would explain a lot, if s/he isn;t a troll.

Wonder how this 8 month old baby will fare?

Janet Boss
http://bestfriendsdogobedience.com/
http://photos.yahoo.com/bestfriendsobedience

Old September 29th 04, 03:47 AM
Leah

Handsome Jack Morrison lid wrote:
I think it's unfair for people to automatically equate a pup's
"fearfulness" with its potential for aggression (e.g., fear
aggression). I've seen many "spooky" (e.g., initially displays a fear
of strangers) pups (usually the result of poor breeding,
socialization, etc.) turn out to be just *wonderful* family
companions, provided the family isn't expecting it to grow up and
become Lassie one day, and doesn't force it to interact with every
stranger who happens along. These so-called "spooky" dogs even do just
fine with strangers after they've been correctly introduced to them,
and can exhibit some excellent bite inhibition, too, even with
strangers. In fact, if you watched these dogs interact with their
owners, family, and small circle of friends, you'd swear they were
perfectly "normal."

I graduated a 1-1/2 year old basic dog (a pound dog) who was just as you
described. There wasn't a sign of aggression in her, yet she was terrified of
people. If somebody as much as looked at her, she would skitter away. If she
was trapped, she'd turn her head away and cower.

When she first joined class, her female owner was the only person she trusted.
Her male room-mate, who adored Amber, couldn't approach her. Couldn't feed
her, couldn't take her for walks. And he had been living there as long as she
had.

All it took was a lot of random treats and for people to stop trying so hard
with her, and just ignore her. By week 5, she would go to any human in class
and sit for a treat, holding eye contact with them. A couple of the women were
even allowed to pet her. Instead of having to be dragged into class, she was
trotting in eagerly with her tail up. Last I heard, she was giving kisses to
the male in the house.

She's still not a "friendly" dog. If a stranger reaches for her, she'll still
skitter away. But she's *much* more confident, and at ease in social
situations.

Canine Action Dog Trainer
http://www.canineaction.com
My Kids, My Students, My Life: