Puppy training advice

Old August 25th 04, 06:07 PM
Dan Miller

Default Puppy training advice

Hi folks -
Been reading through the threads and appreciate all the great
information found here (and definitely don't appreciate the crazies who
post incoherent messages :-)).

We brought home a new beagle puppy about two weeks ago. She is now 10
weeks old and we love her to death. She has been remarkably well
behaved and is training well. I wanted to run by this group what we are
doing to housetrain her and get any feedback.

Here's the current setup:

1) Sleeps in the crate at night, in our bedroom. We let her out
around 9:00p and go to bed around 10-10:30p. Usually around 4:00 or
so I can hear her rustling so I take her right outside, she pees and
then I put her back in the crate. She sleeps the rest of the night
until 6:00 or so when I let her out again. I'm told at three months
or so she should be able to make it through the night. Is this
accurate? She would have made it through the entire night the other
night, if I weren't nervous and insisted she go out. :-)

2) We feed her in the morning and immediately take her out
afterwards. Sometimes she does her business, sometimes not. Usually
she does, though.

3) When we are home during the day/early evening, we let her stay in
the living room with us and we let her out every couple of hours. So
far we've only had 1-2 accidents, and it has only been when she has
bolted up to the bedroom (where it's carpeted) and she's gone really
fast before we could catch her.

4) During the day, while we are at work, we leave her contained
within the kitchen. Her crate is there, but open, so she can sleep
and then there is a litter box with a piddle pad. She has been using
the piddle pad exceptionally well during the day, and has had no
accidents outside of that area.

Given that we can't not work, we read that the piddle pad/litter box
was the best solution for when we can't be with her for extended
periods of time. I can't see leaving her in the crate with the door
closed for 8-10 hours a day. It seems cruel and she is too little to
hold it that long. I'd rather her go in the litter box then on the
floor and since she is a small beagle, it's not messy at all.

She doesn't really "ask" to go out when we are home we just take her
every couple of hours. Will there come a time when she whines at the
door and she'll just know to do that? She whines now in the crate when
she has to go, which is good.
Thoughts on our approach so far?

Thanks,
--Dan