Getting second dog

Old October 4th 04, 03:32 PM
Lisa

Default Getting second dog

We adopted a 4 year old male cocker spaniel about 9 months ago. Now,
we're thinking about getting a second cocker (we're looking into
possibly getting another adult one from the same rescue group). My
only concern is that our dog now is too dominant to share the house
with another. He's not aggresive around other dogs, he will get into
occasional fights with his cousin - but he's definitely not submissive
(one thing we did learn at a friend's house, when he didn't back down
to their boxer). When we choose a dog, should we choose one that will
be submissive to him, so that he can show them who's boss and there
won't be any horrible fighting. I'm terrified that we'll get a dog
and have to take them back because they both try and be dominant. And
I'm especially scared as we'll be leaving them alone together for 10
hours each day- who knows what could happen when we're not there.
What have been your experiences with this?

Also, is it wise to get a male or female cocker with our male?
Old October 8th 04, 02:47 PM
Ornella Schavemaker-Piva

Lisa wrote:
[...]

If you can separate the dogs when the female is in heat, then take a
female, the chances that they fight are much less, even if some females
can be very dominant as well.

In any case, if you decide to take a second dog let the dogs decide for
you: I mean let the dogs meet on a neutral terrain, where none of them
has ever been, so you'll not have any territorial fight. And them let
them meet each other. You'll immediatly see whether it's going to work.
The dogs will follow their instinct and if you observe their behavior
you'll see if they can establish an order in the group. If your dog is
domimant he will behave as the alpha dog, and if the other one is not
dominant it will lay down on his back.

A fight between two dogs in the same household is not such a strange
thing: dogs in the wild live in a pack and there will always be one
alpha dog. Once they anderstood who is the leader there will be no more
fights.

Good luck!
Ornella

Old October 9th 04, 12:19 AM
Natalie Rigertas

Ornella Schavemaker-Piva wrote:

Also, is it wise to get a male or female cocker with our male?

If you can separate the dogs when the female is in heat, then take a
female, the chances that they fight are much less, even if some females
can be very dominant as well.

Generally, in the US, if you get a dog from rescue, it either already has
been altered, or you are contractually obligated to alter it. So, being
in heat shouldn't be an issue for the new dog.

In any case, if you decide to take a second dog let the dogs decide for
you: I mean let the dogs meet on a neutral terrain, where none of them
has ever been, so you'll not have any territorial fight. And them let
them meet each other. You'll immediatly see whether it's going to work.

Since the OP's dog is more dominant, they should look for a less dominant
dog to match up with theirs. When they meet, ideally, they should maybe
sniff and then ignore each other. Also ok is instigating play. If they
get all defensive (hackles up, growling, other aggressive posture), it's
likely not going to be a good match, and you'd want to find another dog.

The dogs will follow their instinct and if you observe their behavior
you'll see if they can establish an order in the group. If your dog is
domimant he will behave as the alpha dog, and if the other one is not
dominant it will lay down on his back.

As much as people may want their older, established dog to be the dominant
one, sometimes that just doesn't work, and the dogs do indeed need to work
out their own places.

A fight between two dogs in the same household is not such a strange
thing: dogs in the wild live in a pack and there will always be one
alpha dog. Once they anderstood who is the leader there will be no more
fights.

It would be better if there were no fights at all! Getting into a bit of
a tiff is far different from an out and out fight. I'm not so sure I
could handle two dogs in my house fighting. The tiffs? They happen, and
rarely need any intervention on my part.

natalie

--

What fresh hell is this?
--- Dorothy Parker