Jealousy

Old October 4th 04, 10:48 PM
Chuck

Default Jealousy

I have had two dogs one a 13 year old boxer and a 14 year old pound-puppy
retriever. We have just adopted an 8 month old Whippet mix. They are all
females. My problem is that the whippet wants to snap at the other two
whenever they come around food, water, me, or the wife. They get along well
napping though. I'm worried about the stress put on the two older dogs.
Any suggestions on how to eliminate the jealousy on the whippet's part?

Thanks

--
Chuck

I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian

Old October 5th 04, 06:18 AM
Charlie Wilkes

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 23:57:54 +0000 (UTC),
(Melanie L Chang) wrote:

Jean Donaldson has a great book out called "Mine!" that deals with
resource guarding. It would be a good read for you since your whippet is
guarding multiple things.

Yes. Lynn K. and Spinach and I had a little reading-circle around
this book a few months ago and we all agree it is an excellent guide
with all the dos and do-nots of these issues. It was a very pleasant
and interesting discussion and it is in the archives.

My Papillon came to me with mild resource guarding issues. He would
guard yummy things from me (but not from the other dogs, who both
outweigh him by at least 30-40 pounds) and also began guarding me from
the other dogs. I got him to stop guarding treats by insisting that he
give them up (not a good idea if a dog is really serious about guarding
-- it's a good way to get a dog to snap at you so I don't recommend it)

Of course not, because that opens the door to confrontation, which
Donaldson says is counterproductive. But it's better than noosing him
and popping him onto the floor, which is J1's recommended technique
for dogs who guard furniture.

and then by playing trading games with him where he would give up
something to get something else. He stopped guarding stuff from me
inside of one week.

The guarding me from my other dogs (particularly my favorite dog) was a
more serious problem because of the size differential and the fact that
it made life unpleasant. What I did was unemotionally and promptly crate
him every time he engaged in the behavior for about five minutes -- no
scolding, no yelling, just picked him up (usually this happened when he
was on my lap, but not always) and put him in and walked away. I also
worked on rewarding him every time my other dogs walked by and he didn't
react. This behavior went away over about two weeks. I think part of
the reason it went away is also that he found his place in the household
and didn't feel anxious about jockeying for attention anymore. I remain
careful to divide the attention fairly and make sure no one is getting
ignored or feeling left out.

No. I doubt if your animals feel ignored. Overscheduled by a manic
stage mother, perhaps, but not ignored.

The interesting part is that Skeeter clearly understood which dog was my
favorite (I love all of my dogs, but one of them is my soulmate) and was
much more hostile toward him than toward my bitch, who I guess was less of
a threat in terms of getting attention. Luckily those days are over,
although I know the behavior could always recur we seem to have a
strategy for taking care of it.

Good luck!

Thanks!

So who are you going to vote for, Melanie? I've got you figured for a
Bush-Cheney hardcore, and I hope I'm right because PA is critical to
the election and America's success in the War on Terror.

Charlie

Old October 5th 04, 06:28 AM
Charlie Wilkes

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 21:48:32 GMT, "Chuck"
wrote:

I have had two dogs one a 13 year old boxer and a 14 year old pound-puppy
retriever. We have just adopted an 8 month old Whippet mix. They are all
females. My problem is that the whippet wants to snap at the other two
whenever they come around food, water, me, or the wife. They get along well
napping though. I'm worried about the stress put on the two older dogs.
Any suggestions on how to eliminate the jealousy on the whippet's part?

Thanks

Hey Chuck!

FYI that chick who answered you is a righteous babe. She's a total
fruitcake though. But she gave you the right advice -- order Jean
Donaldson's book Mine from www.sitstay.com or other vendor.

The basic technique is that you have to desensitize the guarding
animal against the trigger by raising the trigger threshold gradually
and rewarding the dog for progress (which in this case will mean
rewarding 3 dogs for one dog's progress). Never any anger or
confrontation.

Charlie