Counter Cruising must stop

Old October 4th 04, 10:51 PM
Marie

Default Counter Cruising must stop

One of the (few?) things hubby and I were successful at teaching Macula when
she was a puppy was not to take stuff from table tops, counters, etc. The
general rule of thumb was if it was on the floor, it was hers, anywhere
else=don't touch.

Of course things have become more complicated with the kidlets around--a lot
of stuff on the ground isn't hers anymore and sometimes (her thinking?) they
intended her to have something but missed the floor, and it needed to be
"cleaned up" from their laps, highchair seats or trays. The counter-surfing
has now spread to stealing pizza from the dining room table if nobody is
looking.

Obviously, remedial training is required. Problem is, I really can't
remember how I taught Pupster not to countersurf in the first place: I just
remember thinking "that wasn't so hard."

So, any suggestions on how to break the countersurfing habit?

TIA

Marie

Old October 5th 04, 02:15 PM
Shannon

I wish I had a good method for you.

The best way is to have a 100% failure rate - when she jumps up, there's
nothing there. Judicious use of baby gates helps this.

After that, she needs to be corrected immediately for jumping up. We
tried small mousetraps in "setups", which provided a measure of success
until we put Guinness on a diet. Then, all bets were off and he taught
himself to navigate around the mousetraps.

We're back to trying for a 100% failure rate, and not succeeding very well.

Good luck.

-Shannon

Old October 5th 04, 06:06 PM
Tee

"Marie" wrote in message
[...]

If you can afford a few of them, the long strips of scat-mat work really
well for breaking counter-surfers, unless they're Boxers anyway. The only
real way I know of is to manage the situation by not leaving food you don't
want the dog to steal on the counter. In my house the counters, trash &
even the grill (hot or cold) is fair game in Fancy's world. No matter how
many timeouts, how many DROP IT!s and so on, food is more important to her
than getting in trouble is. This is pretty much a breed trait so I've
learned to not leave any food on the counter/table/grill, unattended, unless
I don't mind if Fancy steals it.

--
Tara