A couple behavior questions

Old August 5th 04, 04:49 PM
toller

Default A couple behavior questions

I have a 2 1/2 year old toller. She has turned into a great dog, for the
most part.

1) In the past few weeks she has started kicking grass over her poop. I
didn't know what the lawn damage was until she did it on a walk today.
Since I can't even see her do it, I can't imagine how to stop it. Any
suggestions, beyond hoping it goes away as quickly as it came?

2) She is pretty good with heel, sit, come and stay (though she does
everything slowly); but doesn't seem to know what down and stand mean. If
she is standing, she will sit on down; and if she is sitting, she will very
slowly do a down on down.
If she is down, she will sit on stand; if she is sitting, she will start
trembling on stand. My sense is that she really wants to do it, but doesn't
have the faintest idea what I am telling her to do.
I have been working on this for 2 years, and it is pretty frustrating. I am
not a complete novice; my first dog (also a toller) picked everything up
immediately, but it took a while to convince him they were commands rather
than requests. Jessie on the other hand just doesn't know what the commands
mean. Her hearing seems good, so that is not the problem.
The main difference between the training the two dogs received is that I
trained the first one, and the whole family trained Jessie. Could that
somehow have confused her? (The other difference is that I used a choke
collar and a remote training collar on the first dog, but they seem
completely inappropriate on Jessie so they haven't been used.)
Any advice on what to do with an apparently stupid but lovable dog? (other
than accepting that "down" isn't really necessary, and giving up.)