Need advice on buying Golden Retriever pup ( age)

Old July 18th 03, 03:02 PM
midwesthills

Default Need advice on buying Golden Retriever pup ( age)

I'm going to buy a Golden Retriever puppy (as a companion dog), but
I'm having a hard time deciding on the age I should go for. I'm
single and will be the only one taking care of the pup. I work full
time (8 hrs/day x 5 days/wk), but could get home during lunch to take
the dog out for 30 minutes. Once I got home or on the weekends, I
would be with the dog A LOT (I absolutely love dogs, Goldens in
particular).

So here's my dilemma: I've found two pups-- 1) 10 week old female, 2)
6 month old male. I'm leaning toward the 6 month old as I'm guessing
he'll do better being alone. Both are from reputable breeders and
have been socialized, etc from birth.

Any advice? Thanks!
Old July 18th 03, 03:32 PM
Emily Carroll

So here's my dilemma: I've found two pups-- 1) 10 week old female, 2)
6 month old male. I'm leaning toward the 6 month old as I'm guessing
he'll do better being alone. Both are from reputable breeders and
have been socialized, etc from birth.

All things equal, I would personally go for the 6 month old. You're looking
(hopefully) at already partially housebroken and he can "hold it" longer if
he isn't.

~Emily

---

Old May 3rd 06, 11:29 PM
cookie cookie is offline
Junior Member

A puppy needs to be put outside every 2-3 hours until it is housebroken. It is a long time to expect a puppy to hold it's urine even if it has been broken. Their bladders aren't developed to hold urine for long periods of time. If you could keep the dog fenced in outdoors during the day until it is 9-12 months, it would make everything easier. Cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Carroll

Old May 4th 06, 12:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

On Wed, 3 May 2006 22:29:24 +0000, cookie
, clicked their heels and said:

If you could keep the dog fenced in outdoors during
the day until it is 9-12 months, it would make everything easier.

Unless it got poisoned. Or stolen. Or dug or climbed out. Or
destroyed the yard and ingested something.

Indoor crating and a commitment to a schedule is really a safer route
which helps the puppy understand sleeping and calm when owners aren't
home, rather than destructive play. Conditioning to "hold it" for a
few hours at a time is also more conducive to housetraining than being
able to pee at will, outdoors.

--
Janet Boss
Old May 4th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

cookie said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

If you could keep the dog fenced in outdoors during
the day until it is 9-12 months, it would make everything
easier.

You are responding to a three year old post.
Three years ago, the original poster was given some good advice.
Three years after the post you're giving what I consider poor
advice.

Dog banter.com spit

Old May 4th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

On 4 May 2006 16:11:50 GMT, Rocky , clicked their
heels and said:

You are responding to a three year old post.
Three years ago, the original poster was given some good advice.
Three years after the post you're giving what I consider poor
advice.

Dog banter.com spit

Oh geez - and I responded to her post, thinking I had just missed
something. Oh well......

--
Janet Boss
Old May 5th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Janet B said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Oh geez - and I responded to her post, thinking I had just
missed something. Oh well......

Good advice is timeless.