Please don't think me a bad mother, but...

Old October 8th 04, 08:18 PM
eroschaos

Default Please don't think me a bad mother, but...

I have a 4 year old silky terrier and two cats. I work during the day
so puppy says home with the kitties. I was thinking about getting
another dog as a companion for her. Is this a good idea, or would it
just stress her out? She does not seem to have separation anxiety and
she does play with the cats, but I thought another dog would be better
company for her. She is not around other dogs often, but my family
has a yellow lab so when we visit she tries to play with her, but
thier dog is a little too big. I would appreciate any thoughts or
suggestions on this one. Thanks to all in advance...
Old October 8th 04, 08:28 PM
Eric Vey

You are lucky that your present dog gets along with your cats. Mine
would eat them. Something to think about when contemplating getting
another dog.

Old October 8th 04, 08:29 PM
Leah

(eroschaos) wrote:

I have a 4 year old silky terrier and two cats. I work during the day
so puppy says home with the kitties. I was thinking about getting
another dog as a companion for her. Is this a good idea, or would it
just stress her out? She does not seem to have separation anxiety and
she does play with the cats, but I thought another dog would be better
company for her. She is not around other dogs often, but my family
has a yellow lab so when we visit she tries to play with her, but
thier dog is a little too big. I would appreciate any thoughts or
suggestions on this one. Thanks to all in advance...

If you're ready (emotionally and financially) to take on a 4th pet, it may work
out fine. I would suggest that you contact a rescue group and look for a male
who is at least a year old, and who is proven to be good with cats. Let them
meet on neutral territory, and see what happens.

Canine Action Dog Trainer
http://www.canineaction.com
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html

Old October 9th 04, 07:11 AM
Elizabeth Naime

Do *you* want another dog -- a fourth pet -- or are you just thinking it
might be better for the dog you have now?

If *you* want another dog, hats off to you. Look in rescue for an adult
who is known to get along with cats and do a trial run. Could be the
beginning of a beautiful thing! Could be a fair bit of trouble, too, if
the current pets don't cotton to the newcomer.

If you think your dog wants another dog, think again. Your silky has
your full attention, at least all your dog-directed attention, when you
are home. Your silky gets along fine with the cats (who may well HATE
another dog, even if he or she is good with cats) and even plays with
them. The dog isn't showing any signs of separation anxiety and
everything you have said indicates a contented, well-settled social life
as an only dog in a multi-species household.

Ain't nothing broken; don't need to fix it! ;-)

Only know that there is no spork.

Ambitious mother Andrea Dog activities 0 July 19th 04 04:58 PM
nursing mother leaves frequently Swede Dog behavior 0 May 15th 04 02:13 AM
nursing mother leaves frequently Swede Dog behavior 0 May 15th 04 02:13 AM
Need Advice and Help in placing 4 dogs in a no-kill shelter Tara O. Dog rescue 50 October 6th 03 11:24 PM
Single Mother/ 6 Yr Old Son Wants A Dog - What's the Best Breed? Mud E Poz Dog breeds 1 August 10th 03 05:22 PM