Dog TV shows

Old October 9th 04, 11:46 PM
LeeCharlesKelley

Default Dog TV shows

"Chris Carney" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Anyone know of any shows that cover
training/behavioral issues that are on
cable these days other than "The Dog
Whisperer" which is on National Geographic
channel?

Howe:That's pretty brutal stuff. The guy's a MENACE.

I'd never heard of this show till the other day. I met a guy near the
East River who had a nicely trained yellow Lab named Bebe. I was with a
miniature schnauzer named Cassie.

We started talking about dogs and I gave him my card. He asked me if I'd
ever seen the show and I said I hadn't but that I've learned to distrust
anything or anyone being referred to as a "Dog Whisperer", since every
time I've seen someone with that moniker it turns out to be the same old
fear and force, no "whispering" going on at all.

My "new friend" told me he thought the show was great and demonstrated
something he'd seen the host of the show do, in order to teach an
energetic dog to stay. And I mean, he *demonstrated" it. He used an open
hand to poke me in the chest, on the shoulders, and even in the face. Not
hard, mind you. But he was *poking* me. You can imagine, I think, my gut
reaction to having a total stranger pushing me around. I wanted to poke
him back.

I spent a little time, after he finished his demonstration, about why I
thought that was the wrong approach and went into a little theory on
learning and behavior, which he quickly got (or pretended to). I also
pointed to my card and invited him to read "The Myth of Alpha" on my
website: LeeCharlesKelley.com.

But no, I haven't seen the show. I just recommend that when you watch it,
if you do, just keep my experience of being poked at in the back of your
mind, and hopefully wonder how such treatment might make a dog feel: happy
and willing to obey you? I doubt it.

Old October 9th 04, 11:46 PM
LeeCharlesKelley

[...]

Dog shows... rocknrollover.com Dog breeds 74 September 24th 04 04:07 AM
Dog shows... rocknrollover.com Dog behavior 24 September 19th 04 03:21 PM
Dog Shows Cin Dog breeds 10 April 7th 04 12:38 PM
Rusty's First Shows! Emily Carroll Dog behavior 0 January 17th 04 09:35 PM
Rusty's First Shows! Emily Carroll Dog behavior 0 January 17th 04 09:35 PM