Mouthy Mut

Old October 11th 04, 07:10 AM
John

Default Mouthy Mut

My dog gets very vocal. Barking, whining, yelping, etc.

Any way that works to get the quiet command across?

Old October 11th 04, 05:02 PM
Leah

"John" wrote:
My dog gets very vocal. Barking, whining, yelping, etc.

Some people teach their dogs to speak on cue, and then teach "quiet." I have
never had any luck with that.

Here's a couple of things I've done that have toned my dogs' barkiness down to
a tolerable level. First of all, if they're barking out the window because
they see an "intruder," I acknowledge it. They're trying to tell me they think
there's a danger outside (falling attack-leaf, for example). So I look, say,
"Oh, thank you so much for telling me, I'm on it, no problem." (Not
necessarily those words, but that tone.) Then I may distract them away from
the window, for example if there's a cat in the yard, or somebody standing in
front of the house with a dog. Those are 5-alarm situations, in their
estimation.

After I acknowledge, I remind them that they should be using their inside voice
(yep, that's my quiet command - "inside voice!" :}. And I put my finger to my
lips as a hand signal. As soon as they stop barking, I tell them, "Good inside
voice, good girls!"

If they're out in the back yard barking, I tell them "inside voice." If they
don't respond, they get called in. So now my border collie barks at the door
when she wants to come in.

Madigan is by far my barkiest. The other two rarely bark outside any more,
because they know the score and they don't want to come inside. Maddie,
however, still needs to be called inside sometimes, though far less often than
at first.

She cracked me up the other day. I heard her barking, and got up to call her
inside. But when I looked out, she was barking because she was playing, as
opposed to standing at the fence barking *at* something or somebody. I allow
play-barking. It doesn't tend to go on and on like Chinese water torture, the
way alarm barking does, and it's one of the ways she expresses the joy of
running around like a maniac.

So I just watched. After a couple of barks, Madigan stopped and looked towards
the door. When I didn't open it, she went back to barking... and then stopped
and looked towards the door again. She kept interrupting herself and waiting
for me to call her in. Eventually, she just gave up and asked to come in. It
was just too weird for her, I guess. :}

IME, this is not a behavior that you can teach in a couple of repetitions (like
"sit" or "down"). It's not a purposeful behavior - they don't think about it
before they do it. It's just a natural reaction to them, and also a deeply
ingrained habit. Whenever you have to break the habit of an inappropriate
behavior, you're going to have a lot more trouble than if you're simply
teaching an appropriate behavior.

So be consistent and patient.

Canine Action Dog Trainer
http://www.canineaction.com
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html

Old October 13th 04, 03:29 AM
Spot

LOL.............Madigan sounds like quite the dog. It's amaxing what they
can pick up on and soon learn how much they can pull on us.

Out of my two Barney is the barker. He goes off the porch yapping at the
world "here I am in my yard I DARE you to come closer" This goes on a few
seconds then I tell him "enough" Usually this does it and he quiets down,
occasionally he gets the order "back inside NOW" because he won't shut up.
The only time he rarely ever barks is at night. I've always been very
strict with not allowing any barking outside at night. This makes for a
nice 3 am yard call and not having to worry that he wakes the neighbors.

Celeste