Why you don't go to MANY vets for training advice . . .

Old August 9th 04, 09:07 PM
Parker

Default Why you don't go to MANY vets for training advice . . .

From a poster name Kaos on another dog board:

"I just got back from the vet, and apparently, my 12 week old puppy is
showing signs of domiance.....he said this because my puppy was
turning his head while the vet was looking in his ears....How can I
fix this dominance problem?"

This is a pretty good example of a common mistake of new dog owners.

To wit, many (if not most) vets know very little about dog training.
Hell, most "dog trainers" know very little about dog training. Yet
many owners think "vet" means "Very Experienced Trainer."

Tell your vet to keep his/her training opinions to themselves -- and
to stop reading so many crappy training books.

12 week old puppies are not showing dominance, they are not scheming
to take over the pack . . . or the world.

Moreover, this doesn't address your direct question . . . but someone
else mentioned it. Humping is not a "dominant" behavior. No dog is
trying to assert its will by humping. . . .

No wait, I am wrong, now that I think about it, I have seen dominant
dogs hump.

In fact, come to think about it dominance is the driving force in
dogdom. Dogs want nothing more than to be in charge and challenge
authority at every turn.

In fact, I have regularly seen dogs so mad for power, control, and
world domination that they hump stuffed animals and pillows --
certainly this is a show of dominance. A 6 month old GSD certainly
can't let a throw pillow think it is in charge.

You know what? I have also seen puppies chew up shoes. In case ya'll
didn't know this is also a power-grab by dominant dogs. You see, they
are YOUR shoes, and if you don't have shoes then you are less capable
and running after them . . . so by chewing up your shoes they are
trying to put you in your place.

Same thing with counter surfing -- You see its YOUR food. So the
dominant, power crazed dog is telling you that he can take your food
without repercussion.

Did you also know that if a dog won't return a ball to you while
playing fetch he is dominating you? It's true! You see he is proving
to you that its HIS ball and he can do what he wants with it.
Moreover, he is showing you how fast and quick he is and how slow and
clumsy you are. Watch out for this.

Also, you know those awkward times when your 12 week old puppy pees in
the house -- Yep! you guessed it, that is also a "dominant" behavior.
You see he could hold it if he wanted to --- what he is really trying
to do is mark his territory.

I tell you, come to think of it, dogs are probably the most power
hungry, dominance driven, mad dictator-like animal on the earth. The
only things they care about are power, status, and more power.

You had better be careful -- the message is clear: Fear you dogs,
watch their every move, and make sure they never ever make an
unchecked power grab.

An owner who does not fear their dog does not respect the
irrepressible drive for world domination present in every dog -- from
a toy poodle to a pit bull. Be Alpha and save yourself!

If you don't you might find yourself on the end of a leash and eating
out of a bowl. Maybe instead of "Planet of the Apes" it should have
been "Planet of the Dogs."

**** Note to readers, this post is complete satire. If you believe
what I wrote you have issues -- please seek help. I meant almost none
of the above, except the point about most vets being clueless about
dog training. ***

Kaos,

Find a new vet -- preferably one who isn't so paranoid.

Cheers,
Parker