Brothers & Separation

Old October 13th 04, 11:49 AM
BigD

Default Brothers & Separation

My two eskies are brothers and about a year an a half old. The spend all of
their time together of course. Jake wouldn't mind being inside more often
and Rusty wouldn't mind being outside more often.

Problem is when Rusty wants to go out Jake is not always of the mind to
follow. If his brother wont go out Rusty wont go out. He will go to the back
door and act like he wants to go out so I open the door. He walks outside
and turns around and sits down just outside, in the way of the door closing
and waits for Jake. Rusty will go out by himself to eliminate so that's not
a problem. If I go out with Rusty he's fine...then Jake (who's inside)
thinks he's missing out so he wants out all of a sudden.

Any ideas how to convince Rusty its ok to be outside by himself?

Dave

Old October 13th 04, 01:01 PM
Tee

"BigD" wrote in message
My two eskies are brothers and about a year an a half old. The spend all
of their time together of course. Jake wouldn't mind being inside more
often and Rusty wouldn't mind being outside more often.

Problem is when Rusty wants to go out Jake is not always of the mind to
follow. If his brother wont go out Rusty wont go out. He will go to the
back door and act like he wants to go out so I open the door. He walks
outside and turns around and sits down just outside, in the way of the
door closing and waits for Jake. Rusty will go out by himself to eliminate
so that's not a problem. If I go out with Rusty he's fine...then Jake
(who's inside) thinks he's missing out so he wants out all of a sudden.

Others may have "nicer" methods of achieving your goal than me but here's
what I've done for rescue dogs who've not wanted to go out on their own.

When I know the dogs needs to go out or I see the dog by the back door I
immediate praise as I walk over to the door. Keep up the praise while
gently guiding the dog out the door by his collar. Watch from a different
place than the door. When the dog does the potty thing then call back in
and reward.

I've had dogs who were rewarded for just spending 30seconds on the back deck
without trying to jump through the glass in my door to get back in. In
general they haven't been that bad though, just a case of not wanting to let
me or my other dog out of their site (like you talk about with Rusty &
Jake).

The dogs quickly caught on that going out got them treats and after a few
times of being out there they realized they could do it without panicking.
Please note that I don't choke the dogs when guiding them out the door and
I'd generally give a command as soon as I let go of them "go potty" in a
happy voice. You can also leave out the treats, it depends on what
motivates your dog more, your verbal praise or a good snack.

--
Tara