portugese Water dogs info

Old July 18th 03, 09:32 PM
Anthony

Default portugese Water dogs info

Hi group,
Anyone have one of these dogs? What do you think of the breed? Are you aware
of any breeders in the PA/NJ/DE that breed Portugese Water dogs? Thanks,
Anthony

Old July 18th 03, 09:50 PM
Christy

"Anthony" wrote in message
.. .
Hi group,
Anyone have one of these dogs? What do you think of the breed? Are you

aware
of any breeders in the PA/NJ/DE that breed Portugese Water dogs? Thanks,
Anthony

There is a PWD owner/breeder on this newsgroup, hopefully she will give you
some information. I am not an owner but I am fond of the breed and have met
many of them. They are a VERY high energy working breed and need signifigant
exercise and training. They have higher grooming needs than most breeds -
coat comes in several types but all of it needs regular grooming. They can
have dietary issues. IMHO definitely a breed that needs an experienced,
educated and committed owner - this is not a breed that can do well as a
"yard dog" (though I don't think ANY dog does well as the latter.)
What interests you about the breed? Have you met any in person?

Christy

Old July 19th 03, 12:48 AM
Agilpwd

"Anthony" wrote in
:

Hi group,
Anyone have one of these dogs? What do you think of the breed? Are you
aware of any breeders in the PA/NJ/DE that breed Portugese Water dogs?
Thanks, Anthony

Christy pretty well nailed it. Since, I am told, “Dog World” featured
the breed this month, the breeder referral person has been inundated
with requests! They are cute, cuddly looking adorable dogs, aren’t they?
AND they don’t shed!

Well...kind of. They DO shed; all dogs (with hair) shed some. PWDs just
shed much less than breeds with undercoat, and much of that is caught in
the curls. They DO require MUCH grooming. We go out for a run at the
park, and come home and de-burr. g

They are adorable, and after exercise love to cuddle. But, for various
reasons, my 5 dogs, two of which are PWDs, have gotten very little
exercise and NO training time this past week. BOTH are about to drive me
nuts, including the 12 ½ (yes, that’s twelve, and she’s still very
active!) year old. Let’s not even TALK about the 2 ½ year old. ; And
they have each other, a Border Terrier and a youngish Sheltie to help
keep them occupied.

I adore them though. I can’t imagine life without one. They are intense,
loving, need to be with you, mischievous, creative, and curious, have an
incredible joie de vivre…. But they ARE a handful. And with the rise in
popularity and demand, there are more and more people breeding them. Do
NOT limit yourself to your immediate geographic area. I live in C they
are worn out like to cuddle, central Ohio. I have purchased dogs from
eastern PA Seattle, WA. Find the right breeder, not just the closest one
who has puppies.

Below I am pasting a rather lengthy note, my standard reply to PWD
inquires.

Please go to the PWDCA web site -** http://www.pwdca.org/
*for extensive information.*
For breeder referral, Sandra Overton :

For rescue,
Carole Allen

I cannot stress enough the importance of finding a reputable hobby
breeder who has the best interest of the PWD in mind, and will help
match you with a PWD whose background is well tested for genetic ills.

Avoid breeders in any breed mass producing puppies. What is “mass
producing”? IMO, 2 or more litters at once, or 3 or more a year, in this
breed.

Getting a puppy quickly, nearby, of a certain coat type, gender or color
is NOT important. Finding the right family companion is.

They are an active, energetic, extremely bright and creative
breed. They are NOT a dog to just lay by the fireplace and doze. This
does not mean they are constant activity in the home or "hyper" though.

A*properly exercised PWD certainly can understand "that's ENOUGH, now
go lie down!" when need be.* I have found that they do well in homes
with another, active dog, kids* (boys 5-10 are great!), or, if a
petless, childless home, people who are* willing to go on walks, take
them for
a swim, play frisbee, etc.

Obedience training for the first year or so is practically mandatory.
Continuing on, is recommended. PWDs are remarkably well suited to
the sport of dog agility.

The low shedding quality that attracts many people means that they need
grooming. They have a single coat of hair (most breeds are "double
coated"),*that keeps on growing. It needs to be brushed and combed
regularly, and clipped periodically. How often, depends on your
desires, and the growth*rate for the individual dog. Since they shed
little (but they DO shed! ALL mammals shed, at least a little!), they
are often better for folks with allergies than other breeds. It is
suggested though, that you spend*time with adult PWDs before
getting one, if you have severe allergies.

Nothing is more upsetting, to the buyer, breeder and pup, then having
to return a pup because of a family members allergies! It’s tough for
all concerned.

There are many health issues to learn about in this breed. No more than
most breeds. We just talk about them more! G You need to learn about
them, and ask breeders probing questions about health testing done on
the*prospective parents. ASK to see documentation, good breeders are
NOT offended!

Expect a good breeder to ask you MANY questions. They will want to
ascertain that you are 1) appropriate for the breed, and 2) help select
a*pup that will suit you. If they suggest the PWD might not be right
for you,*don't be offended.

There are very few breeders, and most of us don't breed often. Speaking
for*myself, I breed pretty infrequently. Most folks end up NOT getting a
PWD
locally.

When you get the breeder referral*list, please note that breeders on it
are those who signed an agreement with the club stating they would
abide by certain ethical guidelines (this means, among other things,
that they inform buyers if parents have*not been tested for and PASSED
all health exams.

Note: it does NOT mean*they are breeding only OFA, CERF, etc.
passed dogs!) and were willing to pay the club for the listing. NOT
being on the "list" doesn't mean the*breeder is less than ethical.

*I WOULD question any breeder who*is NOT a member of the PWDCA
(our national breed club, and the best*resource for keeping current on
the breed’s health issues) as to WHY they*are not. It is not like many
breed clubs where you have to jump thru*hoops to join. You merely fill
out an app. and have it signed by two*current members.

A good link to read:
http://www.dog-play.com/ethics.html
This helps to understand what a good breeder "is" and "is not".

Also, below is a quote from the Akita club to help understand what to
look for in a breeder. Just substitute, "Portuguese Water Dog", for
Akita throughout.

quote from the Akita Club of America......

Begin Quote*****************

How to Choose a Reputable Breeder
When you are looking at a cute bundle of fur the important facts about
just who is offering this Akita pup for sale may escape you.* Often the
buyer takes the darling pup home only to find out later that the person
who
sold the pup is either unable or unwilling to help the buyer.

Come-ons like "A.K.C. Registered", "CH. Bloodlines", etc., in no way
assure that you are getting a quality pup or that you are dealing with a
reputable breeder.* Big flashy ads in national magazines may be
impressive,
but
what do you really know about the advertiser?

Unethical breeders thrive because the average buyer is uninformed.* Some
buyers do less research on the purchase of a pup than they do on a new
washing machine!* Armed with knowledge, you can avoid being "taken in".
Remember that "AKC registered" is not a guarantee of quality; it simply
means
that the pup is registered, and*even the most poorly bred dogs have "CH.
bloodlines".

You will need a breeder who is available to you for the many questions
you will have on rearing your dog, feeding, basic obedience,
housebreaking, etc.

You'll need someone who knows what makes the Akita tick.* If you are
interested in showing/breeding, you need a breeder who will help you get
started in training and entering shows.

It does not cost any more to buy from a good breeder, and in fact, the
"bargain" Akita may end up costing more in problems than a show pup!
Your best possible choice of a breeder is a "hobby breeder".* Stress is
placed on the word hobby.* The dedicated hobby breeder views his dogs
as a hobby from which he expects no profit.* When an individual breeds
dogs for enjoyment, with the AKC Standard as a goal rather than a profit
motive, the end result is superior pups. Such a breeder feels
responsible for
each little pup and stands behind every dog he has bred.

You should have certain requirements from anyone you talk to in order to
assure that you are making a wise purchase.

One requirement should be that the breeder belong to a local Akita Club,
if possible, the Akita Club of America (ACA), an obedience club, or an
all-breed club.

Why?* Through membership in one or all, the breeder is exposed to others
who are also interested in Akitas, and dogs in general, and learns more
about his breed, dog care, modern breeding practices, etc.

The second requirement is that the breeder be involved in showing his
dog(s). At this point you may be asking "But I only want a pet!* I'm not
interested in showing so what difference could that make to me?"*
PLENTY!

For one thing, showing dogs gives the breeder the same opportunity that
belonging to a club does.* It gives HIM a chance to share information
and thoughts with others.* Showing provides the competition that makes
breeders want to produce better dogs.* Breeders who do show are putting
everything on the line; they are not depending on impressive pedigrees
carry them.
They wish to show how good their dogs are in competition.

"Show people" are not necessarily jet setters or even very wealthy
people. On average, they are just ordinary people who want to prove that
the dogs they breed are worthy.* Every dog that a breeder raises may not
be
worthy of being shown.* In every litter there will be those pups which
are
strictly pet quality.* However, a breeder who does not show his dogs has
no
idea how
his dogs would fare in competition and deprives himself of the learning
experience that showing provides.

OK, so maybe you don't want a "show dog", but don't you want a pet that
was the end result of a carefully planned litter, rather than the result
of an accident or a litter bred for profit alone?* Don't you want a pet
that
got the same care as the potential champions in the litter?

The breeder who shows is known by others in the breed, he has a
reputation to maintain.* He is more likely to be careful and honest.

End first Quote********

--
Lisa Baird - Haleakala PWDs