Responsible cat/dog intro?

Old September 9th 04, 10:12 AM
polara

Default Responsible cat/dog intro?

Looking for advice from those of you
who have experience with a combined dog/cat household.

My husband is wheelchairbound and loves interacting
with animals but is not interested or able to do any
training. Our dog Angel is very "Terrier" not interested in
pats and cuddles, and not intereted in people who don't
do fun things. So she pretty much ignores him, even though
they are home alone together a lot.

I'm thinking about finding an affectionate cat for Per.

I'd like to "rescue" an adult cat of known temperament.
I can afford the cat's food and medical care; it would need
to be an "indoor cat." I have no problem with taking car
of cat sand and so on - I'm already picking up after both doggy
and hubby, after all.

My questions:

Is it possible that Angel, a typical terrier about cats, too,
could make friends with one individual cat?
Vice versa, am I likely to find an adult cat willing to
become happy housemates with a dog?

How would I go about determining potential
competability and and introducing them to each other?

Is this even feasible?

Polara and Angel in Oslo