Puppy Training: Biting and Begging

Old October 16th 04, 05:26 PM
Scotty OpAmp

Default Puppy Training: Biting and Begging

Hello All,

I have yet another couple of questions for the collective. My little
Rukka is going on 9 weeks old. She is starting to get quite active. I am
currently having two problems with her.

(1) Biting. I know puppies are teething at this age. Furthermore, she has
not quite learned to use her voice. Much to my dismay, I have verbally
scolded, her a couple of times only to find out she was trying to tell me
that she needed to go out. My current plan of attack is a light verbally
scold (i.e. "Rukka, you are not allowed to bite humans.") followed by giving
her a toy and praising her after she begins chewing on this. This does not
seem to be working. Her biting is getting harder, and more persistent. She
is also very clever about it. I will hold a nylon bone, and her she will
start biting at the farthest point away from my hand and work her way to my
fingers. Anyone have any suggestions? I have heard everything from
squeezing a dogs muzzle to putting soap on my fingers. I can not imagine
that any of these are positive re-enforcement.

(2) She is starting to beg as well. First it started off with whining while
I was preparing her food. Now, she likes to jump up on my legs when I am
sitting at the table eating. Right now, if it is her dinner time, I wait
till I have eaten and than give her food afterwards. She seems to
understand this with me, cause she generally will only paw at my legs once,
and after a verbal scold ("Rukka, you are not allowed to bother me while I
eat."), she sits patiently by my legs. The problem is more with my
girlfriend. She is very persistent about bothering her. We have tried to
work out rules so that we are consistent with Rukka, so I am operating up
the assumption that she is more or less doing everything the way I am doing
it.

(***) Has anyone had any success with Paul Loebs training methods
(specifically "Smarter than You Think.")? Rukka comes to me about 75% of
the time. I have found since I have been bribing (only occasionally) her
with a treat, she comes inside a lot easier. My neighbors were looking at
me funny when I was tossing a sock at her after issuing a command that she
did not listen to.

Wow, there is a lot there. Thanks everyone.
-Scotty

Old October 16th 04, 06:00 PM
michael 3.0

Scotty OpAmp wrote:

Hello All,

I have yet another couple of questions for the collective. My little
Rukka is going on 9 weeks old. She is starting to get quite active. I am
currently having two problems with her.

(1) Biting. I know puppies are teething at this age. Furthermore, she has
not quite learned to use her voice. Much to my dismay, I have verbally
scolded, her a couple of times only to find out she was trying to tell me
that she needed to go out. My current plan of attack is a light verbally
scold (i.e. "Rukka, you are not allowed to bite humans.") followed by giving
her a toy and praising her after she begins chewin gonthis.Thisdoesnot
seem to be working. Her biting is getting harder, and more persistent.

hello scotty,

here is a video which may be of heelp

http://dogtv.com/kwame.rm

--
this is michael
reporting live...

Old October 16th 04, 06:47 PM
Leah

"Scotty OpAmp" wrote:
[...]

I'm addressing both of these concerns together, because they both require the
same solution.

When she engages in an inappropriate behavior for attention, you
reward/reinforce the behavior when you give her the attention.

When she nips, play ends. Period. You simply take all your attention away
from her, immediately. When she begs, you do the same thing. There is no dog
there. As soon as she's behaving, she's a good girl. Once she starts
misbehaving, she becomes immediately invisible again.

This is not going to resolve itself overnight. For one thing, she's trained to
believe that these behaviors *get* your attention. They always have. Once you
start withdrawing the attention, she's going to try harder to get it back. In
other words, expect the biting and begging to get worse before it gets better.
It's going to take her a while to realize that it No Longer Works for her.

(***) Has anyone had any success with Paul Loebs training methods
(specifically "Smarter than You Think.")? Rukka comes to me about 75% of
the time. I have found since I have been bribing (only occasionally) her
with a treat, she comes inside a lot easier. My neighbors were looking at
me funny when I was tossing a sock at her after issuing a command that she
did not listen to.

Not familiar with Paul Loeb. But if you're thinking of the treat as a "bribe,"
you have the wrong mind-set. It's a reward. And actually, giving her a reward
only occasionally is more motivating than giving her one every time.

Why do you throw a sock at her?

Canine Action Dog Trainer
http://www.canineaction.com
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html

Old October 16th 04, 11:23 PM
BigB

"Leah" -OFF wrote in message

Not familiar with Paul Loeb. But if you're thinking of the treat as a
"bribe,"
you have the wrong mind-set. It's a reward. And actually, giving her a
reward
only occasionally is more motivating than giving her one every time.

Luring her in the house with food is a bribe...giving her a treat for
responding to the COME command is a reward.

BD