Another leash walking question

Old October 18th 04, 08:32 AM
Jemo

Default Another leash walking question

I read through some of the previous messages leash walking
problems, but none seemed to fit my situation exactly.

I just adopted a one year old, sixty pound shepherd/rott mix. He is a
sweetheart and is so well behaved normally. He sits, stays, drops-it,
lays down, sleeps in his crate, is housetrained, and stays out of our
upstairs bedrooms. He does really well at the off-leash dog parks and
gets along with both people and dogs.

However, when we put his leash on him, he turns into a monster.
Actually, he's okay until he sees people or other dogs. He pulls
really hard and starts growling/barking. I can tell that he doesn't
actually want to hurt the people or dogs at all. In the few times
that he managed to reach a person or dog, he only rubbed up against
them, wagged his tail and said hello. All the growling and barking
stopped. Of course, it is very scary for strangers when they see this
dog growling and pulling, and the last thing they want is for him to
go over to them. It seems like the more restrictive I am with him,
the wilder he gets.

I know that we are using the wrong leash and collar. Right now we
have one of those flexi leashes and regular buckle collars. His
foster told me that she had tried a choke collar and a six foot leash
under the supervision of a dog trainer that came to her home, but that
did not work. The foster's solution was to give up teaching him any
leash skills at all.

We're signed up to take an obedience class, but it doesn't start for
two weeks.

I am primarily writing to see if anyone has had a similar experience
with a non-aggressive and normally obedient dog acting like a monster
on the leash. I just don't understand why he would turn into such a
different dog. I read about leash aggression and barrier-frustration,
but that doesn't seem to fit his case so much since he does fine in
his crate and is not an aggressive dog at all.

Thanks for any insight.
Old October 18th 04, 01:06 PM
Ryan

"Jemo" wrote in message
om...
I am primarily writing to see if anyone has had a similar experience
with a non-aggressive and normally obedient dog acting like a monster
on the leash. I just don't understand why he would turn into such a
different dog. I read about leash aggression and barrier-frustration,
but that doesn't seem to fit his case so much since he does fine in
his crate and is not an aggressive dog at all.

Thanks for any insight.

I had almost the exact smae problem with Gus after our other dog passed
away. Walking him became a nightmare. He was fine unless he saw something or
someone and then he would bark and pull like crazy.

In the end, what worked for us was doing nothing but turn and walk in the
other direction the second he started the crazy dog act. I never said a
word, never yanked or pulled or corrected, just turned and started off in
another direction.

For the first two weeks, we didn't make it off our own street, somedays
didn't even get out of the driveway but it worked. Now when Gus sees
something, he prances without pulling and lets out a soft bark or two but
thats it. No more pulling, no crazy dog routine.

No fancy leashes or collars either. Just his buckle collar with my usual 6
foot leather lead.

Old October 18th 04, 02:06 PM
Scott

Jemo wrote:

However, when we put his leash on him, he turns into a monster.
Actually, he's okay until he sees people or other dogs. He pulls
really hard and starts growling/barking.
His
foster told me that she had tried a choke collar and a six foot leash
under the supervision of a dog trainer that came to her home, but that
did not work. The foster's solution was to give up teaching him any
leash skills at all.

We're signed up to take an obedience class, but it doesn't start for
two weeks.

Thanks for any insight.

If he has a favorite toy that he likes to play with (tug or ball on a
rope), you might try distracting him with it. Put it in your pocket
when you go for a walk. As you approach a dog or person that excites
your dog, pull out the toy and begin playing with your dog. Of course
if your dog has little interest in playing it wouldn't do a thing, but
you can build that interest by playing with your dog in the back yard
with a tug or...?

Old October 18th 04, 05:22 PM
Leah

(Jemo) wrote:
I am primarily writing to see if anyone has had a similar experience
with a non-aggressive and normally obedient dog acting like a monster
on the leash. I just don't understand why he would turn into such a
different dog. I read about leash aggression and barrier-frustration,
but that doesn't seem to fit his case so much since he does fine in
his crate and is not an aggressive dog at all.

Hard to tell without seeing it, but my guess would be that what you are
interpreting as "aggression" is excitement as expressed by a vocal dog with a
scary voice. :}

And this is not at all an unusual situation. Most dogs who haven't been
trained to walk nicely on a leash will pull, and when they're 60 pounds it's a
major problem.

His
foster told me that she had tried a choke collar and a six foot leash
under the supervision of a dog trainer that came to her home, but that
did not work. The foster's solution was to give up teaching him any
leash skills at all.

Argh. Used properly (as you'd assume it would be done under the supervision of
a trainer), a choke collar can work very well in teaching leash manners. Used
improperly, as most people do, it just makes them pull harder. But there are
other methods that don't involve leash corrections at all.

First, I'd suggest that you get him fitted with a gentle leader:
http://www.sitstay.com/store/equip/collars2.shtml (and by the way, there's a
gorgeous Belgian modeling it!). This will prevent him from being able to pull
you around while you're training him. And with a big dog, prevention is
mandatory.

What type of class are you going to? Do you know what methods are being used?

Canine Action Dog Trainer
http://www.canineaction.com
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html

Old October 18th 04, 09:05 PM
Child

"Jemo" wrote in message
om...
[...]

He is feeling frustrated that he can't go visit the dog and the people, and
his frustration looks like aggression. I have one who did this. Our
treatment plan was to never ever let doggie visit anyone while acting like a
freak. Instead, I try and distract him with a treat, and if he sits nicely
and quietly, THEN he can go visit the doggie or the person. He quickly
learned that freak behavior got him nowhere but sitting nicely got him a
visit. He now sits and looks at me expectantly if we come across a dog he
would like to visit with.