Labrador & Swimming Pool

Old October 18th 04, 09:09 PM
Meg Moran

Default Labrador & Swimming Pool

I am considering rescuing a 2 yr old choc lab that desperatly needs a
home. She is very well mannered and sweet.....HOWEVER, she will not
stay out of the swimming pool! She is constantly wet, and getting my
home constantly wet!! Is this a neurosis or does she just love water
that much? It is a real problem and I can't seem to find any info on
the subject. Can anyone give advice?
Old October 18th 04, 09:40 PM
Tee

"Marcel Beaudoin" wrote in message
. ..

Ummm, I have never had a lab, but every lab I have seen at the dog park
seems to have an innate ability to find the wettest area of the park and
llie in the puddle there. If they have recently been groomed, the
attraction is stronger.

Only some Labs do this. Many others roll in it making sure all nooks &
crannies are now caked with mud.

--
Tara

Old October 18th 04, 09:42 PM
Tee

"Meg Moran" wrote in message
om...
I am considering rescuing a 2 yr old choc lab that desperatly needs a
home. She is very well mannered and sweet.....HOWEVER, she will not
stay out of the swimming pool! She is constantly wet, and getting my
home constantly wet!! Is this a neurosis or does she just love water
that much? It is a real problem and I can't seem to find any info on
the subject. Can anyone give advice?

The only thing you can do is keep the dog out of the pool by some means
whether a physical or invisible blockade. I'm very surprised that you
haven't found anything on the net about Labs and water because they adore
it. Labs are natural swimmers and they LOVE (I really can't say that loud
enough) anything that gets them wet and preferably caked with mud or sand.

--
Tara

Old October 18th 04, 10:20 PM
J1Boss

The only thing you can do is keep the dog out of the pool by some means
whether a physical or invisible blockade. I'm very surprised that you
haven't found anything on the net about Labs and water because they adore
it. Labs are natural swimmers and they LOVE (I really can't say that loud
enough) anything that gets them wet and preferably caked with mud or sand.

--
Tara

I have an inground pool. I have a lab mix (who adores swimming) and a
flat-coat, who I believe knows how to breathe under water. They are not
allowed in the pool. There is no reasonable way to fence off the pool in
anyway. They are not allowed in the pool. The Golden and Flatcoat before them
were not allowed in either. Of the 4, only one tries to sneak in, and that's
only when WE'RE in (and not paying attention to her tennis ball ;-D). If we
put tennis balls away while we're in the pool, she stays out as well. She's a
bit of a stealth dog and pretty smart - she'll purposely drop her ball in the
pool to demand attention, and if we ignore it, she has this "well - *I* better
get it" attitude. If I tell her she better not think about it, she stays out.
DH never pays that much attention........

Did I mention that they are not allowed in the pool and ALL have not gone in,
even when one of their toys was thrown in due to bad aim?

T-R-A-I-N-I-N-G

Janet Boss
http://bestfriendsdogobedience.com/
http://photos.yahoo.com/bestfriendsobedience

Old October 18th 04, 10:53 PM
Tee

"J1Boss" wrote in message

Did I mention that they are not allowed in the pool and ALL have not gone
in,
even when one of their toys was thrown in due to bad aim?

T-R-A-I-N-I-N-G

Ideally training is best but in this case it sounds like the OP won't keep
the dog if she doesn't find an immediate solution. Maybe you can give her
pointers on how to teach the new dog to stay out of the pool since you've
done it with your brood. I believe you but I'm still amazed...any tricks
for teaching them not to roll in every cool patch of dirt they find?

--
Tara

My Dog & My Pool SMS Dog behavior 20 August 23rd 04 01:28 AM
My Dog & My Pool SMS Dog behavior 0 August 21st 04 04:07 AM
My Dog & My Pool SMS Dog behavior 0 August 21st 04 04:07 AM
Swimming pool fear trudiefrur Dog behavior 0 August 26th 03 04:08 PM
Swimming pool fear trudiefrur Dog behavior 0 August 26th 03 04:08 PM