*sigh*

Old October 19th 04, 11:41 PM
culprit

Default *sigh*

my best friend shows Shar Pei. she's had a couple litters with a co-owned
bitch, who was the number three Shar Pei in the country a few years back.
one of the puppies was given to a friend. he's a bit too lean and leggy to
be really good show quality, and obviously isn't breeding stock. so off he
went to the perfect pet life he deserved. or so she thought.

Edward's owners recently had a baby. and you guessed it, they suddenly
don't have time for their dog anymore. my friend, being the responsible
breeder that she is, is now tasked with re-homing the poor boy with a family
who can be his forever home.

he's three years old, he's not dominant, not dog aggressive, good with kids
and cats, very well socialized, and i'm completely in love with him.

just when i decided that two was enough.

but he's way too young, there will be pack stress. his breed means
potential aggression or dominance issues could creep up. i know better.

but i also know that this is a once in a lifetime chance. a gorgeous Pei,
with a wonderful temperament, from some of the best lines in the country...

*sigh*

life is so difficult at times.

-kelly

Old October 20th 04, 03:49 AM
Jazz

I hope Edwards owners don't decide they don't want their (human) baby
someday.
I have never understood how someone can just get rid of their animals, and I
never will.

Old October 20th 04, 04:00 AM
Tee

"Jazz" wrote in message
I hope Edwards owners don't decide they don't want their (human) baby
someday.

That's a common response but a pretty groundless one. How many people do
you know who just get rid of their kids when they no longer want them or
they're too hard to handle? Dogs don't come with the same lifelong
responsibility & committment that children do in people's eyes.

I have never understood how someone can just get rid of their animals, and
I never will.

For some its very easy. If they never bonded with the dog, never treated
the dog as part of their family and/or never trained the dog so he'd be
pleasing to be around then getting rid of said dog is just parting with a
piece of property. For some its not so easy but still necessary depending
on circumstances.

I am currently trying to find a good home for a 6yo brindle Boxer who moved
here from ME with her owners in an RV. Due to a series of events that were
beyond the humans' control they are now in dire financial straits and having
to find a place to live. With no jobs yet and all those other circumstances
factoring in they have to take the cheapest place they can find and it
doesn't allow dogs.

--
Tara

Old October 20th 04, 06:39 AM
flick

culprit wrote:
[...]

At three years old, I wouldn't expect him to become
dog-aggressive, if he isn't now. You'll be bringing
him in to an "established pack," a setup just about
guaranteed to make a non-agg, dog-friendly newbie fit
right in at the bottom. He might challenge that at a
later time - but so might any dog.

Give in, give in. You've never known devotion, like
you get from a Pei.

flick 100785

Old October 20th 04, 06:12 PM
Marie

"Tee" wrote in message
"Jazz" wrote in message
I hope Edwards owners don't decide they don't want their (human) baby
someday.

That's a common response but a pretty groundless one. How many people do
you know who just get rid of their kids when they no longer want them or
they're too hard to handle?

SIGH I've met all too many kids who have been given up on. Family
break-up and the adults all go on with their lives. Half-siblings come
along. Parent decides the kid is "old enough" to look after themselves,
even if the kid is only 8 or 9. Child isn't a compliant angel and parent
decides it's "bad blood" and there's no hope. I could go on... :-(

At least when someone gives up on a dog, the dog is dropped off somewhere
and has a hope (however slim) of a better life. When a kid is given up on,
they usually have to go on living in the house like a ghost--fed and
sheltered, but with no love.

Marie

Old October 20th 04, 06:26 PM
Gwen Watson

Marie wrote:

SIGH I've met all too many kids who have been given up on. Family
break-up and the adults all go on with their lives. Half-siblings come
along. Parent decides the kid is "old enough" to look after themselves,
even if the kid is only 8 or 9. Child isn't a compliant angel and parent
decides it's "bad blood" and there's no hope. I could go on... :-(

At least when someone gives up on a dog, the dog is dropped off somewhere
and has a hope (however slim) of a better life. When a kid is given up on,
they usually have to go on living in the house like a ghost--fed and
sheltered, but with no love.

Marie

Marie
I am glad you posted the above because it is saddly very true.

And then there are kids that are sent off to military school,
boarding schools whatever just so they aren't around. And while
the above in *some* ways can be good things, the fact is
the parent in many cases isn't doing it so much for the good
but just to get their kids out of their lives for an extended period
of time.

And yes too many kids are very neglected, abused and left
to fend for themselves.

Gwen