Choosing a Breed or Mixed HELP!

Old July 29th 03, 01:10 PM
Jeff

Default Choosing a Breed or Mixed HELP!

I need help.

I am trying to choose the best dog breed (or mix) that will fit my
lifestyle. I have read a lot (maybe too much) and need some first hand
input.

My lifestyle: I am very active, particularly in things like running
(ultra) and mountaineering. I would like a dog that does not mind some
winter camping and would also not mind going on long trail runs
(20-30miles). So it is VERY important that I can run with a dog off
leash and have it stay with me and come when I say.

Breeds I am looking at: Husky, Malamute, Labs, Border Collie, Bernese,
Swiss Mountain.

The reputation of the arctic dogs, being very independent and will not
stay with you if unleashed, scares me. Is the reputation true?

Any help, ideas on different choices, mixes, etc. is much appreciated.
Oh, by the way, I live in New England.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old July 29th 03, 03:52 PM
Suja

Jeff wrote:

Breeds I am looking at: Husky, Malamute, Labs, Border Collie, Bernese,
Swiss Mountain.

The reputation of the arctic dogs, being very independent and will not

Yes, it is. Their prey drive is really strong, and nothing can be more
motivating than a vigorous chase of possible food, and no amount of
recall training will help. They can go for miles and miles before even
realizing that they have been separated from you. You can rule out
Huskies and Malamutes for that reason.

Of your other dogs, Berners and Swissies are much too large and heavy
boned to run, let alone run long distances. I don't think they'll be
able to handle it. That leaves Labs and BCs, who can both be very
active dogs, and may be able to cut it, although I am not sure if any
breed can deal with 20-30 miles of running. Couple of things to keep in
mind. Dogs do not have similar coping mechanisms as people to deal with
heat, and it will be a bad idea for any dog to run for any length of
time when it is hot outside. Also, high impact exercises that involve
lots of running and jumping are generally not recommended for dogs under
the age of 2, as it can cause serious damage to their growing joints.

Any help, ideas on different choices, mixes, etc. is much appreciated.
Oh, by the way, I live in New England.

I would strongly suggest that you repost in rpd.breeds. You're likely
to get some really good advice from very knowledgeable people.

Suja

Old July 31st 03, 12:51 AM
Rene

"Jeff" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Wow, that's a lot of exercise! Have you had a dog before? Two breeds that
come to mind are the Airedale terrier and Doberman Pinscher (you can buy
nice winter coats for all dogs). Both are high energy, trainable and have
endurance. Doberman's have the nickname "Velcro dog" so no problem keeping
that one close. Both require obedience training (being dominant breeds) and
from what I read, a heavy hand does not work well. Maybe clicker training
would work best. These breeds may not be good if this is your first dog
though.

Go to http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/ to answer some questions and it will give
you a list of suggestions.

As Suja's post mentions, no heavy running, jumping or backpacking before 2
years of age! Maybe you should check out rescue for an older dog that can
start running with you now. Go to
http://www.petfinder.com/ for that.

René

Old August 10th 03, 12:08 PM
joe

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

i fine German shepherd are the best dog, there loyal, trusting

and will love going camping or anything else, and if you got kids they will
pertect that kid with there life.........that's just my opion I've always
hade them and will always will
just my 2 cents