Shots for Dogs

Old October 20th 04, 07:58 PM
Mike

Default Shots for Dogs

I have (2) seven year old dogs and they are due for their shots
tomorrow, They have every year received their shots like clockwork. I
know they need their rabies shots but I heard there is some debate
about the other shots they get. I don't board them and they don't run
loose. I live in a rural area and they are cofined to an 80' X 80"
fenced yard. I would appreciate any comments you may have. Thanks
Old October 20th 04, 08:56 PM
Gwen Watson

Handsome Jack Morrison wrote:

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 19:37:14 GMT, Handsome Jack Morrison
wrote:

[]

IMO, there's no valid reason for annual vaccinations (for the vast
majority of dogs), Mike, except against rabies, which is required by
law.

Addendum: And even for rabies (in most areas) you can opt for the
3-year product.

Texas just went to that option 1.5 years ago, thankfully. Before that
we were required to do it annually. And the Vets were using
the every three year vaccine.

Gwen

Old October 21st 04, 12:38 AM
Diana

"Handsome Jack Morrison" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:58:04 GMT, Mike wrote:

[..]

Generally speaking, the New Vaccination Protocol (which is gradually
being adopted almost everywhere) calls for vaccinations every three
years instead of annually, and even less frequently if titers are
maintained.

My Cinners was due her first boosters after the puppy shots at 15 mths and
we took her yesterday.

Because weims are particularly prone to problems (UK vet record Nov 18 03)
and because she has a UTI within 24 - 48 hrs of each, though had tests to
say she was clear inbetween and has not had problems since, I've been more
than a little worried about these boosters and though contrary to my vets
wants, I got them to agree to a leptospirisis 'only' jab.

Leptospirisis (weils disease) is spread among rats and particularly common
around water. The vaccine is believed to be functional for about a year,
w/out much argument that I've read, and given that we live near a lot of
rivers and streams and that her fav pursuit is digging out rat holes, it
seemed the most sensible option to us. (Rabies is not a required jab in the
UK & I don't know about weils disease abroad).

Diana

Old October 21st 04, 11:47 AM
Ruth

I think I heard my vet say rabies innoculations are still an annual
requirement here.

Terri:

Here is the Texas Dept of Health information on the newest rabies
vaccination laws. If you vet will not use the three year vaccine, it is
required annually. However, if he uses the three year vaccine, it is only
required every three years. Alot of vets are not advising clients of this
change.

http://www.tdh.state.tx.us/zoonosis/...NE/vaccine.asp

Ruth

Old October 21st 04, 12:24 PM
Hi Im WEEniE with MyFav4ite Midi

Shots for Dogs

Group: rec.pets.dogs.behavior Date: Wed, Oct 20, 2004, 7:37pm (EDT+4)
From: lid (Handsome=A0Jack=A0Morrison)
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:58:04 GMT, Mike wrote:
I have (2) seven year old dogs and they are due for their shots
tomorrow, They have every year received their shots like clockwork. I
know they need their rabies shots but I heard there is some debate about
the other shots they get. I don't board them and they don't run loose. I
live in a rural area and they are cofined to an 80' X 80" fenced yard. I
would appreciate any comments you may have. Thanks
IMO, there's no valid reason for annual vaccinations (for the vast
majority of dogs), Mike, except against rabies, which is required by
law.
Generally speaking, the New Vaccination Protocol (which is gradually
being adopted almost everywhere) calls for vaccinations every three
years instead of annually, and even less frequently if titers are
maintained.
http://www.doglogic.com/vaccination.htm
You should freely discuss the NVP with your own vet if s/he isn't
already aware of it.
--
Handsome Jack Morrison
*gently remove the detonator to reply via e-mail
Finally! A Democrat who gets it:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...4232_1,00.html
A Time For Manhood:
http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/op...ists/26628.htm
The Anti-Idiotarian Rottweiler =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Little Green
Footballs
http://nicedoggie.net/ =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0
http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/
Glenn Reynolds - InstaPundit =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Mark Steyn
http://www.instapundit.com/ =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0
http://www.steynonline.com/
The Belmont Club =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0
Michelle Malkin
http://belmontclub.blogspot.com/ =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0
http://michellemalkin.com/
Don Luskin =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0
=A0 =A0 Rightwing News
http://www.poorandstupid.com/chronicle.asp =A0
http://www.rightwingnews.com/
The Indepundit =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0
=A0 Victor Davis Hanson-Private Papers
http://www.lt-smash.us/ =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0
http://victorhanson.com/index.html

For the every 3 year rabie shot the dog first has to have it's rabies
shot then I believe go back in 9 months for a booster or another rabie
shot and then the dog is good for 3 years & then it starts all over
again . Ask your vet to make sure and you can't even be a day late. I
live in Massachusetts

Old October 21st 04, 12:24 PM

Old October 21st 04, 12:39 PM

Hi Im WEEniE with My
For the every 3 year rabie shot the dog first has to have it's rabies
shot then I believe go back in 9 months for a booster or another rabie
shot and then the dog is good for 3 years & then it starts all over
again .

Um, no.

A proud member of the reality-based community.