Ready to give up on peein' dog!

Old October 20th 04, 10:18 PM
Marianne

Default Ready to give up on peein' dog!

Hi everyone - I adopted a shelter dog that I think is a Chow/Aussie
mix. He is approx. 3 1/2 years old and was "abandoned" by his former
owner. I was told by the shelter that he was housebroken, which was
totally untrue. I've had this dog for 8 months and have tried
everything I know how to get him to stop peeing in the house...he'll
go for a couple of days without incident, and then I'll come home to
find 2 or 3 pee spots. He does this when he doesn't even have to "go"
- and he never goes in front of me, so I can't catch him in the act. I
keep him in the garage during the day now - for some reason he will
not pee in there - but I would like my garage back for the winter! I
can't use a crate, as I am gone for 8 hours at work, but he treats the
garage like a crate anyway. He has no problem doing his business on
our walks (3x day), he just refuses not to pee in the house.

Another problem - even though I walk him 3 times a day, he constantly
whines and paces when I'm with him in the house. He's very
affectionate, but easily bored and hard to keep entertained - seems
pretty high maintenance compared to other dogs. We could just be back
from a long walk, and I'll be trying to read - he'll start whining and
slapping his paw in my lap...impossible to get any homework done (I'm
in grad school) !

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I just don't think I can
keep a dog that is turning my house into his personal toilet!

Old October 21st 04, 12:31 AM
Robin

(Marianne) wrote:

[...]

I'm a first time dog owner, and this past April, I adopted an older dog,
10-12 yrs old. After I had her home, a few problems became apparent,
one of which was separation anxiety. I have done an ongoing study of
the problem and possible solutions. What I've learned is that it is
common for shelter/rescue dogs to have it because either they have been,
or perceive themselves, to have been abandoned by their families, just
as mine was after 10 years or so, and as in my case, just because she
was "an old dog and they wanted a puppy now". I believe that's the
problem you're experiencing. Separation anxiety manifests itself in a
variety of ways, and from what you describe, this is one of them. There
are many, many articles and suggestions if you do a search. There are
also some products, such as something that plugs into an electric outlet
and from the heat, releases a scent that can be very calming; another is
a flower essence called Rescue Remedy by Bach Flower Remedies; I've seen
supplements, cookies and food at the pet store which has something of a
calming nature in it. Some people benefit from a dog trainer or dog
behaviorist. There is also accupuncture. There is a desensitiation
technique where you do all the things you normally do when you leave
(sounds of getting keys, coat, etc) and leave for a couple of minutes,
then return, repeating that many times during the day. Once the dog is
calm with 2 minutes, you increase to 4 minutes, and on and on. With
some dogs, nothing relieves it. About your garage, one of the things
I've learned that if you keep your anxious dog in a smaller space, such
as garage, rather than "the entire house", they feel safer. It was
suggested I keep my dog in the bathroom when I leave, not because she
pee's or poops, but just because she won't be an emotional wreck when I
return home. I haven't had the heart to try that yet. When you study,
if you're on a couch, is it possible to let him sit next to you while
you occasionally carress him and speaking softly and assuringly to him?
Have you tried various toys that might engage his attention for while
that doesn't require you? There's this kong toy, a rubber toy that has
a deep hole on one end where you can pack a food or treat he likes, and
that could keep him busy for quite awhile trying to get the food out.
Anyway, lot's of luck. Maybe someone else has some other suggestions.
Robin

--
Do not email if posting response. To email, replace x with 4

Old October 21st 04, 02:27 AM
Spot

I would do as Jack suggest in a previous post.

I know what it's like to try and go to school and take care of everything
else in life and obviously at this point it's just too much to deal with. I
think Robin is right on target here with the separation anxiety. The
problem is this type of problem takes A LOT of work. Try and find a chow or
aussie rescue group and get the dog placed with someone who is more able to
deal with this and help the dog to overcome the problem. Just please don't
dump him back at a shelter the best thing for the dog would be a rescue
group and make sure they are aware of the problems.

You would only be giving up if you dumped at a shelter. If you get a rescue
group involved you are giving him a better chance. If you don't know where
to start check with your local shelter to find a rescue group or your vet.

Celeste

Old October 21st 04, 05:51 AM
Leah

(Marianne) wrote:
I was told by the shelter that he was housebroken, which was
totally untrue.

Not necessarily. Dogs don't generalize well. My dog was housebroken in four
days. However, the first time I took her to somebody else's house, the first
thing she did when she got in was pee on the floor in front of us. She didn't
yet understand that all "inside" was off limits.

I've had this dog for 8 months and have tried
everything I know how to get him to stop peeing in the house...he'll
go for a couple of days without incident, and then I'll come home to
find 2 or 3 pee spots. He does this when he doesn't even have to "go"
- and he never goes in front of me, so I can't catch him in the act.

Couple of points.

First, bring him to the vet. He may have a urinary tract infection. That's a
very common reason why dogs can't stop peeing in the house.

Secondly, if he never goes in front of you, then somebody has punished him for
going in the house. That is a horrible method for housebreaking. He knows he
has to go, and he knows people don't like to SEE him go, so he sneaks off.
What he doesn't understand is that he's only supposed to go outside. If it's
not a medical problem, then he simply hasn't been housebroken correctly.

And thirdly, if he's not housebroken, then he shouldn't be allowed the freedom
to make mistakes. Crate him or confine him to a small area when you're not
directly supervising him.

What methods have you tried to housebreak him?

keep him in the garage during the day now - for some reason he will
not pee in there - but I would like my garage back for the winter!

Then housebreak him. This way:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/potty-training.html

can't use a crate, as I am gone for 8 hours at work, but he treats the
garage like a crate anyway.

If he doesn't pee in the garage, and there's nothing toxic there or anything
dangerous he could chew, AND he's only in there when there is nobody home to
watch him, then it's probably as good as a crate for your purposes.

He has no problem doing his business on
our walks (3x day), he just refuses not to pee in the house.

Dogs only pee in the house when they don't understand that they're not supposed
to. If it's not a medical problem, you've got to start from scratch with
housebreaking as if he were a puppy. And NOT by disciplining them when they go
in the house.

What are you using to clean up the urine?

Another problem - even though I walk him 3 times a day, he constantly
whines and paces when I'm with him in the house. He's very
affectionate, but easily bored and hard to keep entertained - seems
pretty high maintenance compared to other dogs. We could just be back
from a long walk, and I'll be trying to read - he'll start whining and
slapping his paw in my lap...impossible to get any homework done (I'm
in grad school) !

You need a Magic Kong. :} http://www.sitstay.com/store/toys/toyskong.shtml

Stuff it with doggie goodies, plug up the ends with peanut butter, freeze, and
you have a long-lasting Kongsicle that will keep him entertained and busy for a
while.

That will give you a bit of a break, but it won't stop the dog from being
underexercised. How long are these walks? Whatever they are, they're
apparently not enough for him. Is there anyplace you can take him to run off
leash, maybe play ball or frisbee with him? I know it's got to be tough
finding time for a dog when you're in grad school, but that's part of the
responsibility of dog ownership.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I just don't think I can
keep a dog that is turning my house into his personal toilet!

But it's not his fault. When a dog isn't housebroken, that's not the dog's
failure - it's the owner's.

Unfortunately, most of the common knowledge about housetraining is worse than
ineffective - it's damaging. You said you'd tried "everything you know."
Check out the URL to the potty training site. You may find out things you
didn't know. :}

Canine Action Dog Trainer
http://www.canineaction.com
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html
Build Your Immune System, Lose Weight
http://www.re-vita.net/dfrntdrums

Old October 21st 04, 07:12 PM
Marianne

I've gotten some great suggestions so far (although I need a decoder
ring to get through some of these postings!). I think Jerry (and
others) is dead on about this being an anxiety problem (he also goes
ballistic when I come home - another sign?) - and I'm afraid he's also
right that my dog is becoming hyperactive. As for petting him while
I'm reading, I spend almost all my waking hours with him - he sticks
to me like glue and is usually in my lap. I have to say though,
through bad advice, I've probably done a bunch of abusive things like
yelling and making him sniff the spot where he peed and saying BAD DOG
at the top of my lungs and smacking him on the nose (many "experts"
told me to do that!), so now I can totally see why he is becoming
neurotic...the person that's supposed to take care of him is also the
person who can scare him - not good.

Couple of other points - he's walked 3 times a day for at least 1/2
hour at a time; he won't play with toys at all - shows absolutely no
interest in them. I can throw a ball or a frisbee and he just
basically looks at me as if to say "nice throw." Most chew toys that
other dogs love he has no interest in, which made me nuts because I
thought he needed something to entertain him, but nothing works. I
think he was really abused in his "past life" before he was passed off
at the shelter. I just hope I can undo the damage and that it's not
too late - I have no intention of bringing him back to a shelter...if
I really can't handle this, I'll have to search for a good home, but I
want to try to do the right thing first. I have researched separation
anxiety, but so far the suggestions haven't worked too well (haven't
read Jerry's stuff yet though).

One more question, since I've never had a male dog - how much peeing
on walks is normal? I swear this dog lifts his leg at every tree and
hydrant we pass - like 20 times or so! Is this normal or a sign of a
UTI?

Thanks everyone!