Mild electric shocker to stop jumping on tables/counters

Old October 24th 04, 04:16 AM
Armchair Bronco

Default Mild electric shocker to stop jumping on tables/counters

I'm looking for some kind of mild electric shocker to help teach our 5 month
old female Golden Retriever to stop jumping up on the dinner table and/or
kitchen counter. We've tried everything we can think of -- Snappy Trainers,
booby traps, sneak attacks, and consistently/persistently telling her "No!".
But nothing seems to work. In fact, she's getting bolder and is jumping up
even when we're at the table looking right at her!

What I'd like to do is hook up some kind of exposed wire around the
perimeter of the table or counter attached to a some household batteries
which, when touched, will give her a mild jolt.

Are there any such devices available commercially? I've done a bunch of
Google searches, but couldn't find anything other than an electric collar,
which I don't want to use. Alternatively, if there are any electrical
engineers out there who can summarize what needs to be done, I can probably
rig up something myself as I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron.

Thanks.

Old October 24th 04, 05:07 AM
Tee

"Armchair Bronco" wrote in message
I'm looking for some kind of mild electric shocker to help teach our 5
month old female Golden Retriever to stop jumping up on the dinner table
and/or kitchen counter. We've tried everything we can think of -- Snappy
Trainers, booby traps, sneak attacks, and consistently/persistently
telling her "No!". But nothing seems to work. In fact, she's getting
bolder and is jumping up even when we're at the table looking right at
her!

What I'd like to do is hook up some kind of exposed wire around the
perimeter of the table or counter attached to a some household batteries
which, when touched, will give her a mild jolt.

Look into the Scat Mat. You can do a search at most online pet supply
stores and find them. They come in large sizes for sofas and strips for
things like you're talking about.

--
Tara

Old October 24th 04, 05:24 AM
Armchair Bronco

Thanks for the feedback.

I asked a simple question, and I received a simple, straight-forward reply
without any lecturing or off-topic insinuations. How refreshing!!

I've looked at some of the "Scat Mat" offerings on the web. My first
observation is that the entire product line seems WAY overpriced: ($25 -
$50) for a piece of plastic that runs off a single 9-volt battery. For
fifty bucks, the "Scat Mat" ought to be able to teach my puppy to "roll
over"... But at least I have a starting point now for the amount of current
I can safely throw at our puppy without worry about endangering her.

The strip piece that you mentioned is about $37.00, and I figure I'd need at
least 4 of them for complete coverage. I suspect that I can build something
myself for under $10.00.

Next up: alt.engineering.electrical.

Thanks again for the tip.