Thanks! (was Bad knees and/or bad vet?)

Old August 28th 03, 06:05 AM
ophinea

Default Thanks! (was Bad knees and/or bad vet?)

I'm here as much with the
desperate need to vent as I am to ask for advice. I need help finding
answers and I don't know where else to look.

much snippage of my own long post

To all who responded, thanks very much for the listening ear, opinions,
links, and the advice. I'd thought of contacting the Ohio Vet Med Licensing
Board, but I was unaware of the existence of the infobase covering the
rules/laws/regulations in the state of Ohio which I think will come in
handy.

Ophinea

Old August 28th 03, 12:58 PM
buglady

"ophinea" wrote in message
I'd thought of contacting the Ohio Vet Med Licensing
Board, but I was unaware of the existence of the infobase covering the
rules/laws/regulations in the state of Ohio which I think will come in
handy.

......I'd mail a request for records certified mail to the first vet with a
copy of the state code attached. I'd do that today. Release of records
usually requires a piece of paper as even vet records are confidential
(unless rabies is involved). (Keep a copy for yourself.) Alternatively
you could pay a lawyer to write the letter for you, which means you get
lawyer letterhead and an implied threat of action, but you shouldn't need to
spend the money though the one time I did this on another matter it only
cost me $25. Then I'd call the State Board if the records are not in your
hands within 7 days. (Make sure you tell them how you want them delivered -
for pick up at front desk or mailed to your house.) Unfortunately Ohio regs
need to be overhauled and expanded as many more states are much more
explicit in these matters. FL has a reg that requires turning over shot and
wormer info within 48 hours - the rest within a reasonable amount of time.

.........I would not lump the records thing in with the knee surgery failure.
I don't know that you'd ever be able to prove anything anyway, unless you
decide to have surgery done again, in which case I'd ask someone to take
digital photos of the surgery while in progress as there may be some proof
that it was not done properly. Then again, you'd have to get the 2nd vet to
say that it was not done right, which is just about impossible if you ask
me. I don't know how often knee surgery fails, but I'm sure it's happened.
I don't think there's such a thing as a guarantee with procedures like this.

buglady
take out the dog before replying