CO and Dogs

Old November 13th 03, 01:43 AM
John E. Jones

Default CO and Dogs

Are dogs sensitive to the same levels of CO that humans are? I think most
home CO detector will sound at 70ppm, would this work for dogs? I keep my
dogs in an area of the house, not far from the furnace. I do have a CO
detector, but I want to make sure that a lower dose will not harm them.

Thanks,

John

Old November 13th 03, 04:51 AM
DaveL

"John E. Jones" wrote:

Are dogs sensitive to the same levels of CO that humans are? I think most
home CO detector will sound at 70ppm, would this work for dogs? I keep my
dogs in an area of the house, not far from the furnace. I do have a CO
detector, but I want to make sure that a lower dose will not harm them.

Thanks,

John

Can't speak directly to the dose, except to say that if your CO meter
reads ANYTHING other than ZERO you have a problem and need to get it
taken care of.

Old November 13th 03, 04:18 PM
Jeremy Lowe

There is extensive published studies that show threshold limits to CO in
humans, but none that I have found on animals. Since in many testing labs
dogs are sadly used due to there physiology being close to humans it would
make logical sense that they would be effected the same as humans.

Although there is a threshold limit with humans, dogs respirate at a faster
rate than most sedentary humans and their body mass is smaller thus there
reaction to CO may be greater in a dose related exposure.

Since Co attaches to red hemoglobin it take a long period of time for it to
"wear" off. The acceptable level in an 8 hour exposure currently depends on
what standard you accept.
Standards which specify safe levels of CO in the home and workplace are the
subject of current debate. The Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC)
recommends against exposure to levels averaging greater than 15 ppm CO for
eight hours or 25 ppm for one hour. The National Institute for Occupational
Safety and Health has established an eight-hour average limit of 35 ppm CO
and a ceiling level of 200 ppm for workplace exposures, while the American
Council of Government Industrial Hygienists' guideline is an eight-hour
average of 25 ppm.

Regardless of what limit you subscribe to I recommend having your furnace
checked by a qualified contractor since even small amounts of CO can build
up in the blood and have lasting damage. Furnaces that are dirty or not in
good operating condition can create more CO than needed even in an operating
condition, and a flue system that is improperly drafting or not power vented
can be lethal.

Take no chances, get it checked!

--
Jeremy Lowe
www.healthypetnet.com/jeremy

Have you hugged your pet today?

Old November 14th 03, 08:22 AM
John E. Jones

This is more of the response that I was looking for. In reality, nothing is
wrong with the furnace. I watch everything that could possibly emit CO like
a hawk. The dogs like to hang out in the garage on occasion, which obviously
would be the place most likely to have CO.

Also, I have yet to find a reasonably priced CO detector that has an
adjustable alarm. Most that I have found are pre-set at something like
70ppm. I'd love to find one that I can adjust up or down from that. In the
living area, including the dogs', I could set it low. In the garage, higher.
Since, I would not want it to go off every time a car pulls in it.

John

et...

GSP health problem? Sasha Dog health 44 November 23rd 03 09:47 PM
Some people need educating!! CPit_Dogs Dog breeds 12 November 13th 03 05:47 AM
I just talked to Maxxie Maxie P. Diddly Dog health 21 October 20th 03 03:44 AM
another eevil pit bull story m_ i c h7 e-ae l Dog breeds 0 October 8th 03 05:15 AM