Horrible experience

Old September 17th 04, 10:02 AM
Lynda

Default Horrible experience

I've just met up with the usual crowd of dogs with Jake my 8 month old
Border Collie. He's known by all for his loving and calm behaviour
around the dogs/bitches and their owners. So you can imagine my horror
when I heard barking and growling, really aggressive barking and saw
it was Jake who was chasing after another dog. As someone said, there
was utter hatred on his face. The problem is he is big for his age,
56lbs and I dread to think what he would have done to this smaller
dog.

I reprimanded him (and I mean reprimanded him!!) and obviously put him
on his lead. I gave it 5 minutes and walked over to this owner to
apologise. I had Jake under full control but he would have gone for
this dog again, no doubt, so we moved away.

The other owners were stunned but said I should not worry, it would be
a personality clash. Indeed Jake sat and all the other dogs/bitches
came up to him whilst on his lead and he never batted an eyelid. But
it has left me very shaken.

Am I making too much of this one off? There are two dogs who hate Jake
and go for him and their owners don't seem half as worried as I was
today but I take the responsiblity to other dogs and their owners
seriously and I really do feel he would have not stopped at a nip.

I know you probably don't have any answers but even reassurance would
do right now. I am just about to ring my vet too, he has said he won't
neuter Jake until 9 months but I wondered if he might reconsider.

Thanks for listening.

Lynda