OT - quilt for Marcel's kid, details

Old August 19th 04, 02:30 AM
Julia Altshuler

Default OT - quilt for Marcel's kid, details

This is a repost. I'm hoping more people sign up.

You now have your light blue cotton fabric. With a ruler and pencil,
mark off an 8" square. Do not cut the fabric. Leave space around those
8". I need the space to sew your square to the others. I didn't say it
before, but don't get flannel. It shrinks too much.

Inside the square, decorate any way you wish. Realistic is good.
Abstract is good. Words are good. You can be funny, sentimental,
serious, bizarre, schmaltzy, cute, literary, personal, artistic
encouraging, cheerful, dramatic. Don't be mean or obscene. Think of
what any child of Marcel's might like, and you're off to a good start.
The best quilts are made when each person does NOT think about what
everyone else is doing. Come up with something that's entirely your
own. That way they all go together best. Then you send it to me, and I
do the rest. Don't cut the fabric. I need it uncut in order to sew it
to the others.

Your fabric should have your name on it somewhere. I'd like it if most
of the fabric was dog related somehow. That's not an absolute
requirement if you don't feel like drawing a dog, but this is a dog
group, and Marcel will like telling his kid how the quilt came from the
dog group.

Ideas for the non-artistic:

Find a coloring book and trace a design you like.
Write a short humorous poem and write it there.
Trace your hand and your dog's paw print.
Make your design look like a 3 year old's drawing. (We won't tell if
you were trying for this or if it was the best you could do.)
Get out the thesaurus and copy out big words. Kids love having big
words read to them and explained to them as they get older.
Splatter fabric paints on your fabric with an old toothbrush.

Putting sand paper behind your fabric can make it easier to draw on as
it helps keep the fabric from slipping and bunching.

Don't use beads, buttons (choking hazard), glitter (scratches eyes),
puff paints (don't remember why not). Do use permanent markers, fabric
paints, fabric dyes, photo transfers that won't gum up my machine. Check
with me before using thread or yarn for decorations.

You'll have a month to decorate your fabric, but don't think that means
you need to spend a month creating a work of art. I know y'all are all
busy so I'm giving you plenty of time, but the actual decorating
shouldn't take more than an evening. We're shooting for rustic and
heartfelt, not prize winning.

If you'd like to send more than one quarter yard of fabric, go right
ahead. I reserve the right to use only one contribution from each
person. I have to see what I get, then do some fiddling to make it all
fit. The extra gives me wiggle room. I'll try to use it all, but if I
leave out a fabric square, that's because of the math involved with
making a quilt, not because of any intended insult.

People always ask why I'm asking you not to cut the fabric. Answer:
Because fabric cutting takes up a whole chapter in a beginning quilt
book. I need to leave space around the square so I have room to sew a
seam to the other squares. There are different cutting implements (not
just scissors). If I do it myself, that's 20 times easier than trying
to explain how I want it done and telling y'all to go out and buy rotary
cutters and mats.

You're being asked to buy blue fabric because Gen likes blue. There's
still a 50% chance that the baby will be a girl.

When you're done, you'll have plenty of time to mail your fabric to me.
No racing to overnight it to me like last time.

So sign up. Email me to tell me you intend to do this. All join in.
Make this the spiffyest cool quilt the Marcels have ever seen.

--Lia