Getting rid of dog run smell

Old October 20th 03, 04:57 PM
Gary J. Sibio

Default Getting rid of dog run smell

Hi,

Our condo building has a section set aside for the use of the owner's
canines. The solid waste is picked up regularly but the urine soaks
into the ground and, after a while, the smell gets pretty bad. We've
tried spraying with liquid bleach periodically and it helps but we
could use something a bit more potent. We have also tried baking soda
which worked about as well as the bleach. Does anyone have any
suggestions?

Gary J Sibio

http://home.earthlink.net/~garysibio/
Old October 21st 03, 04:48 AM
Rene

"Gary J. Sibio" wrote in message
Hi,

Our condo building has a section set aside for the use of the owner's
canines. The solid waste is picked up regularly but the urine soaks
into the ground and, after a while, the smell gets pretty bad. We've
tried spraying with liquid bleach periodically and it helps but we
could use something a bit more potent. We have also tried baking soda
which worked about as well as the bleach. Does anyone have any
suggestions?

Gary J Sibio

http://home.earthlink.net/~garysibio/

Here's one many people on an email list I belong to have used:
2 tablespoons all fabric bleach, 1 cup Listerine mouth wash, 2 tablespoons
vinegar.
This concoction is for use outdoors, such as patios, patio furniture, or
kennels. It may be too messy and too strong for use indoors on any type of
fabric.

René

Old October 21st 03, 02:25 PM
Tallgrass

Gary J. Sibio wrote in message . ..
Hi,

Our condo building has a section set aside for the use of the owner's
canines. The solid waste is picked up regularly but the urine soaks
into the ground and, after a while, the smell gets pretty bad. We've
tried spraying with liquid bleach periodically and it helps but we
could use something a bit more potent. We have also tried baking soda
which worked about as well as the bleach. Does anyone have any
suggestions?

Gary J Sibio

http://home.earthlink.net/~garysibio/

This area should probably be covered with limestone gravel, which can
help neutralize urine. Also, hose down the area daily, or every other
day. Bleaching will need to occur at least once a week.

If this area is soil/dirt, one may want to remove several inches of
the soil before putting the gravel in. This will give you a new start
in this area, by removing some of the urine soaked soil.

ymmv......
Linda H.
Old October 21st 03, 04:25 PM
Sunflower

"Gary J. Sibio" wrote in message
Hi,

Our condo building has a section set aside for the use of the owner's
canines. The solid waste is picked up regularly but the urine soaks
into the ground and, after a while, the smell gets pretty bad. We've
tried spraying with liquid bleach periodically and it helps but we
could use something a bit more potent. We have also tried baking soda
which worked about as well as the bleach. Does anyone have any
suggestions?

Gary J Sibio

http://home.earthlink.net/~garysibio/

What bleach does is kill off all of the beneficial microbes in the soil that
eat the waste products and makes it that much smellier in the long run. Go
to a pool store and get some pH paper and test the soil. I'll bet it's
acidic as it can be from all of the urine. To combat that, pelleted
agricultural limestone should be spread over the area at least quarterly.
THe powdered lime is faster acting, but unless you have a gravel base for it
to be watered into the recesses, it could possibly stick to the dogs paws.
THe second part of the solution is to speed up the decomposition process.
Any hardware store should have products that are designed to treat septic
systems and that contain live bacteria. Use a tank sprayer and apply such a
product thouroughly at least weekly to the area. Thouroughly saturate with
water in between times to further dilute the urine. The amount of liquid
you need to apply to the area to keep the odor minimized might be
problematic in locations with clay soil. The ideal "doggy waste walk" area
is constructed much like a golf green. It would be a dug out area of at
least 3 to 4 feet deep and then backfilled with limestone and then topped
with a sand layer, and then topped with a sandy loam able to grow a high
traffic turfgrass like bermuda. In the long run, it'd be easier for you to
keep clean if you remodeled the area as suggested.

Old October 22nd 03, 01:49 AM
Tallgrass

"Sunflower" wrote in message

To combat that, pelleted agricultural limestone should be spread
over the area at least quarterly. THe powdered lime is faster acting,
but unless you have a gravel base for it to be watered into the
recesses, it could possibly stick to the dogs paws.

....and burn them (chemical burn).

Linda H.
Old October 23rd 03, 07:37 AM
Gary J. Sibio