19 Month always Jumping

Old October 30th 04, 02:39 PM
Rickie

Default 19 Month always Jumping

Hey Everyone,
I need little help. I have a 19 month old Golden/Chow female mix. She's a
wondeful dog. I thought her how to sit, stay, come, etc. The only problem I
have is, when we're walking in the street or when friends come over she
tends to jump on them for praise. No one in the street or at the house
touches her while she's jump up and down. Only when she calm down. But
still doing this, she hasn't learned to stop jumping on people.

any help would be great!

Thanks,
Rickie

Old October 30th 04, 04:23 PM
kennymaca

Rickie,

Our dog was the same, but has improved a great deal.

What we did if she jumped up was we would ignored her and turned our back on
her. We would not give her any eye contact and tried to carry on as if she
was not there.

The logic is that the dog is craving attention and by withdrawing this
attention, they soon learn that their actions are not desired. The initial
training is done in the home and when the dog begins to respond when they
are ignored then a command can be used. We use "OFF" (not "down" as we use
down if we want her to lay on the ground and we don't want her to get
confused).

When the dog begins to respond to the command at home, then it can be tried
with others. It is important to ask any people the dog meets to ignore them,
not to give them eye contact and not to bend down towards them or pet them
(this is temporary until the dog learns). With a bit of luck, after a short
while, the dog may respond the way you wish.

It worked for our 12 month old highly excitable lurcher / terrier cross.

Good luck.

Kenny

"Rickie" wrote in message
Hey Everyone,
I need little help. I have a 19 month old Golden/Chow female mix. She's

wondeful dog. I thought her how to sit, stay, come, etc. The only problem

have is, when we're walking in the street or when friends come over she
tends to jump on them for praise. No one in the street or at the house
touches her while she's jump up and down. Only when she calm down. But
still doing this, she hasn't learned to stop jumping on people.

any help would be great!

Thanks,
Rickie

---

Old October 30th 04, 05:04 PM
Rickie

Hi Kenny,
We've ignored her, not look at her and nothing.

I received an email from someone saying that I should give her a small piece
of cheese each time she doesn't jump up as treat. This way she will learn
faster. I'm gonna try this too with ignoring her if she jumps.

Rickie

Old October 30th 04, 06:39 PM
Paula

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 09:39:25 -0400, "Rickie"
wrote:

Hey Everyone,
I need little help. I have a 19 month old Golden/Chow female mix. She's a
wondeful dog. I thought her how to sit, stay, come, etc. The only problem I
have is, when we're walking in the street or when friends come over she
tends to jump on them for praise. No one in the street or at the house
touches her while she's jump up and down. Only when she calm down. But
still doing this, she hasn't learned to stop jumping on people.

any help would be great!

Since she already knows the sit command, when you see someone coming
but before she actually can jump on them, have her sit. Have the
person pet her and fuss over her only while she is sitting. If she
starts to come out of the sit, make her sit again and treat and praise
if she maintains the sit while greeting the stranger. No affection
from anyone unless she is sitting. It is easier for the dog not to do
one thing if it has another thing to do. We have kids around the
house all the time, so all our dogs are taught to sit and that only
when sitting do they get any petting. It is amazing how quickly they
learn to come running up and plant their butts on the ground with a
wagging tail and big grin when they want to say hi and get some
lovin'! If they forget, the turning away as they jump up results in a
nice sit instead of just a dog wondering what to do next and trying
other unwanted behaviors to get your attention, too.

--
Paula
"I think I'm having the best childhood I've ever had!" ---Mimi

Old November 4th 04, 10:36 AM
Rickie

Thanks Paula,
I didn't think of having her sit while someone is coming our way. I'll give
that a try today. A nice treat would be good too, for doing a great job.

Thanks again,
Rickie