Andis clippers..... is anyone familiar with them?

Old November 18th 03, 05:10 PM
esrade

Default Andis clippers..... is anyone familiar with them?

I've narrowed my clipper search down to Andis single-speed clippers,
based upon groomer recommendations. However, I am soooo confused from
there.

1 - What is the difference between AG, AGC, GC, PM-1, MBG, and MC-2
models? I got these all off of the Andis website so I know they're
all current models.

2 - What are adjustable blades? Is it different than detachable
blades?

3 - I was told to look for a rotary motor, not a magnetic motor. Why?
Also, petedge.com says that the AGC single speed has a "magnetic
rotary motor". ??

4 - Snap-on combs... are they universal? I was told if I'm just
starting out, I may want to use snap-on combs and if I do, to use a
#30 or #40 blade rather than the standard #10.

5 - Maintenance... I've read Kool Lube is bad, as well as spray
washes. Should I just use oil? What is the proper technique?

Someone please help! I am soooo lost.

Thanks!
Old November 21st 03, 07:00 AM
Jo Wolf

be able to give you information based on tons of experience. For
instance, I've had dogs for 28 years, but I have never used clippers
for much more than 5-10 minutes a month! So I sure can't be considered
and expert!

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

#30 or #40 blade rather than the standard #10.

I don't know the answers to the previous three questions, but I can
tell you that if you use a #30 or #40 blade, you run a high risk of
clipper burn to your dog's skin. Do not use these blades unless you
really know what you are doing.
It is rare that you would ever need a #40 blade ever, in fact.

My personal preference is to Not use the snap on combs.

5 - Maintenance... I've read Kool Lube is bad, as well as spray
washes. Should I just use oil? What is the proper technique?

Kerosene makes a fine lubricant. Store it safely. Find a shallow,
wide container (metal, screw on lid to a jar) into which you pour the
amount to cover the clipper blades with the motor running. Wipe
excess.

Someone please help! I am soooo lost.

Thanks!

My experience is with the Oster A5 clipper. I *think* it has a rotary
motor. Whichever type motor it has, it holds up very well for
professional and show cocker grooming!

Linda H.
Old November 26th 03, 08:09 PM
charlie edwards

(esrade) wrote in message . com...
I've narrowed my clipper search down to Andis single-speed clippers,
based upon groomer recommendations. However, I am soooo confused from
there.

1 - What is the difference between AG, AGC, GC, PM-1, MBG, and MC-2
models? I got these all off of the Andis website so I know they're
all current models.

My advice is to get the Andis Super Two-Speed AG. And use only the low speed,
except when the higher speed is needed.

2 - What are adjustable blades? Is it different than detachable
blades?

Adjustable blade only fit clippers that are too weak for trimming animals,
most of the time.
3 - I was told to look for a rotary motor, not a magnetic motor. Why?
Also, petedge.com says that the AGC single speed has a "magnetic
rotary motor". ??

Don't concern yourself with the construction of the clipper. Both types are
OK. Andis is magnetic and Oster is rotary.

#30 or #40 blade rather than the standard #10.

For best results use a #40 under the combs. But remember, use combs ONLY
on matt and tangle free hair. Use a #10 to cut under matts. Kool Lube is OK
as a quick way to lube while grooming. But the very best way to clean a
clipper blade is: Push the small cutter blade to the side, half way out.
Wipe both sides of the blade. Then push the cutter half way out the other side.
Wipe both sides. The blade is then perfectly clean. This is the ONLY way to
get all hair out, from between the blades.

Also, I'd like to add something I think will be very helpful. When a blade
stops cutting, it not necessarly because it has become dull. When hair has
worked its way in between the cutter (small) blade and the comb (large)
blade, the blades become seperated, and the set won't cut. Clean them and
put a drop or two of clipper blade oil around the teeth area. And most of the
time, you are back in business. If you don't have any clipper blade oil,
use baby oil instead. It's the same thing, mineral oil.

I hope I have been helpful. I have been sharpening clipper blades and
scissors for 25 years, and have customers in all 50 states. (I hope you
don't think I'm spamming this ng., as my post wasn't meant for that purpose.)

Charlie Edwards