Must pedigree dogs in UK be tattooed/microchipped)?

Old December 7th 03, 11:51 AM
Hatch Beck

Default Must pedigree dogs in UK be tattooed/microchipped)?

Do pedigree dogs in the UK have to be tattooed (or microchipped)?

If so, is this required when they are registered with the Kennel Club?
Or does it only apply if they are to be entered into competitions?
Or...?

Or maybe any identification checks are still done by means a combination
of the recording of markings and a reliance on honesty???

Grateful for any info on this.

Regards,

Hatch
Old December 7th 03, 01:50 PM
Susan

Hatch Beck wrote:
Do pedigree dogs in the UK have to be tattooed (or microchipped)?

No, they don't. Any dog in UK only *has* to be microchipped if it's
going to be using the (relatively new) Pet Passport scheme, for visiting
abroad. I've not heard of tattooing dogs here at all.
Or maybe any identification checks are still done by means a combination
of the recording of markings and a reliance on honesty???

I'm not actually aware of formal identification checks (but I haven't
shown for about 10 years now). Also our dogs are solid-colour - no
markings. Their colour is recorded on their KC certificate (all done by
post, in our experience).

Hope this helps.

Btw, I'm new here (I've been lurking for a few days). (Strictly
speaking, not completely new - I was here a number of years ago for a
while. I don't remember the PW, but there were other similar posters
then) g

Cheers
Susan
Old December 7th 03, 02:10 PM
Five Cats

In message , Susan
writes
Hatch Beck wrote:
Do pedigree dogs in the UK have to be tattooed (or microchipped)?

No, they don't. Any dog in UK only *has* to be microchipped if it's
going to be using the (relatively new) Pet Passport scheme, for visiting
abroad. I've not heard of tattooing dogs here at all.

I have heard of it.

--
Five Cats
Email to: cats_spam at uk2 dot net
Old December 7th 03, 10:45 PM
Bob Brenchley.

On 7 Dec 2003 11:51:05 GMT, Hatch Beck
wrote:

Do pedigree dogs in the UK have to be tattooed (or microchipped)?

No, but it is a very good idea to have the microchipped in case they
get lost.

Tattoos are not common in the UK, though some breeders do use them to
help identification in dogs that have almost identical looks. However,
they are not part of the registration process and I don't think
anything like that is required for showing.

If so, is this required when they are registered with the Kennel Club?
Or does it only apply if they are to be entered into competitions?
Or...?

Or maybe any identification checks are still done by means a combination
of the recording of markings and a reliance on honesty???

Honesty does indeed form a very important part in the British system.

Grateful for any info on this.

Regards,

Hatch

One more thing, I have heard talk of a DNA database for show dogs,
though I think it is the very early stages of thought at the moment.

--
Bob.

My cats are forbidden from walking on my computer keyboard on the desk
when I'm asdfjjhhkl;ljfd.;oier' puyykmm4hbdm9lo9j USING IT.