Pheno side effects

Old November 14th 03, 07:44 PM
Tony Dentino

Default Pheno side effects

My dog continues to drink tons of water and needs to urinate constantly.
He's been on it since the 3rd week in Aug. Im bringing him in to the vet
this Monday(11/17), Im worried about this alot. Today he looked as though he
was going to have a seizure(exhibited all classic signs) so I gave him and
extra dose mid morning

--
Ranger and Katie

Old November 14th 03, 08:47 PM
Rocky

Tony Dentino said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

My dog continues to drink tons of water and needs to
urinate constantly. He's been on it since the 3rd week in
Aug. Im bringing him in to the vet this Monday(11/17), Im
worried about this alot.

Drinking is a side affect of the drug - Rocky also drinks a lot
of water and has for the 3 years he's been on PB.

Old November 14th 03, 08:56 PM
Suja

Rocky wrote:

Drinking is a side affect of the drug - Rocky also drinks a lot
of water and has for the 3 years he's been on PB.

Any comments on the 'extra dose' the dog was given? I don't know enough
about PB to say for sure whether that's okay or not, but with lots of
drugs, doubling up is a big no-no.

Suja

Old November 14th 03, 09:15 PM
Rocky

Suja said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Any comments on the 'extra dose' the dog was given? I
don't know enough about PB to say for sure whether that's
okay or not, but with lots of drugs, doubling up is a big
no-no.

I was going to leave that one to the vet, but my opinion on
extra-dosing PB is to not double up. I once gave Rocky an extra
half dose following a seizure (when I was new to epilepsy and
still freaked out by seizures). Another time, under the vet's
advice, I gave him a half dose right before a 3 hour plane
flight.

In general, I don't think that it's a good idea to increase the
phenobarbital dose when an imminent seizure is suspected. It's
difficult to wean the dog back to a lower dose once it's used to
the higher dose. Cutting back too rapidly can initiate
seizures.

Old November 16th 03, 02:34 AM
Andrea

Excessive drinking to that extent was never a very big side effect my dog
had with in all the years she was on pheno. Being more hungry or thirsty
can be a side effect, but I would definitely talk to your vet soon. Perhaps
there is something else going on that is causing this? I am just not sure
to what extent this can be blamed on the medication or the seizures. After
having a bad epileptic for 15 and a half years, I have learned that far to
many ailments were blamed on the epilepsy. My dog had a very bad bladder
infection that went undetected and ended up in her kidneys. Her only
symptoms were increased seizures and excessive drinking, which I took her to
the vet for. She was not going outside more or anything else that would
indicate any infection. So, they tested her blood levels, increased the
Potassium Bromide levels and gave me Rivitrol and liquid valium to have
around in case of emergency. (Cluster seizures was not too uncommon, so I
always had to be prepared for the worst). This may not be the case with
your dog,... but it might be worth considering.

I too was told to give an extra dose of pheno in case of increased seizures
or whatever. However, later I was told that in most cases it will not help
any. Partly because of a seizure is coming, a pheno pill will not be
absorbed into to the bloodstream fast enough to prevent it. Also because
larger doses of pheno in tablet form are not as effective in treating severe
problems. It is better than nothing however. If the dog is having cluster
seizures for example, giving extra phenobarb tablets will not save his life.
The vet would immediately start an IV and give generally pheno and valium
through that. The medication in IV form will almost always save his life).

Best of luck!!

news