LOOKING FOR A DOG OR PUPPY IN TIME FOR XMAS!!

Old December 9th 03, 04:06 AM
Kenneth Contois

Default LOOKING FOR A DOG OR PUPPY IN TIME FOR XMAS!!

Hi,

I have a 9 month old son and am looking to get him a dog or puppy for
christmas. We had a dog but unfortunately had to give her away one year ago
due to my pregnancy. If I would have known we would have found a temporary
home. If by any chance the people that have Tasha, a 3 yr old Rotty, not
fixed, see this message, and are looking to give her back or could find it
in their hearts to let her come back to us, please contact us, we'll take
her back. We gave her away in Jan 2003.

We are really hoping to get one for this Christmas. We are looking for a
dog who is good with babies, this is the most important thing. If it is an
older dog, trained. Either large, medium or small breed. If you are
looking to find a good home for your pet please reply, you would be giving
our son his best Xmas gift of all, a friend. Feel free to send a picture of
your pet.

Thank you,

Jody and Kenneth Contois

Old December 10th 03, 04:49 AM
Jo Wolf

Christmas? A baby's first Christmas with the rest of the family going
bonkers over her, and You want to add a dog or puppy to this mayhem!
ACK!

At this age, your baby's Very Normal behavior can cause Very Normal but
undesirable behavior based on prey drive in a dog, and a puppy will try
to use her as a teething toy. For several years now, you will be unable
to safely leave the child and dog together without human supervision for
even a few seconds.

Since you gave away a perfectly good dog that could have been used to
this little people-puppy by now, you've blown it until the little one is
close to school age... unless you find a child-experienced,
child-tolerant, obedience trained or trainable adult retriever or other
low-prey-drive breed or type adult dog.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old December 10th 03, 09:23 PM
Sunni12

I agree with most all you said. I would like to add my experience. We adopted
an adult dog when my son was about 2. We took him with us to choose the dog as
we wanted to be sure the dog would get along with the child. We let our son
"practice" playing and petting with a stuffed dog first. We adopted a terrier
mix. Long story shortened - this dog was the most amazing friend & nanny for
him. It turned out she was a lot older then we thought and passed away after
not many years with us.
But my point is that the right dog can be wonderful with a young child. And as
an added bonus my adhd son is gentler and kinder with animals than any of the
other children we knew.

-sunny