Welsh Springer Pees on Sofa when we go out.

Old September 14th 04, 01:10 AM
Richard Faulkner

Default Welsh Springer Pees on Sofa when we go out.

Hi,

I'm not sure how much of the story to tell, so let me know if you need
to know more to help.

Got Paddy at 6 years old a year ago. Very sweet, very boisterous and
friendly, wouldnt harm a fly.

He lives with Janet, (my other half), stays with me for a few days
occasionally. With Janet, he tends to have the run of the house, and is
welcomed onto the sofa, just to be there, or for cuddles. This is all
fine, and is how Janet likes it. I think she is somewhat "soft" with
him.

However, in the early days, if we went out together, leaving Paddy at
home, he would have peed on the sofa by the time we returned. It only
happened a few times, and didnt seem to matter is we were out for 1
hour, or 4/5 hours. I never leave him alone in my flat.

He's not done for around 6 months, but has started again.

So..... probably wrongly, we have taken to shutting him in the kitchen
when we are out - if he pees it's easier to clean the lino. He doesnt
like it, pees every time, and it is clear that he scratches the door to
the lounge, and spends a lot of time with his nose at the bottom of the
door anxiously waiting for us to return - the bit of carpet at the
bottom of the door is wet, (not pee), and so is the fur on his neck. He
is over the moon when we get back and open the door.

I am certain it is not to do with a medical problem, nor is to do with
him not being able to hold it.

We now hate leaving him in the kitchen, but cant leave him in the
lounge.

What kind of things can we do to either:

1) make it so he likes being left in the kitchen

2) stop him peeing when we go out

or another solution.

Any help welcomed.

--