Obstinate Dog

Old August 29th 04, 05:22 PM
Phyllis

Default Obstinate Dog

We have two dogs, a female chow mix (10 yr. old) and a male lab mix (4 yr.
old). The female chow had obedience class when we got her at 6 mo. old.
Believe it or not, she was first in her class. She even got a trophy. The
lab was a puppy when we rescued him, but very temid and has done well
without classes.

Our problem is, the chow is very obstinate when walking on a leash. The
dogs have a back yard, but my husband and I walk them in the evenings and
many mornings my husband will take them for a walk. The chow is getting up
in age and does have some arthritis but does well on medication. However,
since she is older, we understand the need to walk slower with her. However
her walks are getting more frustrateed. A walk consists of walking,
sniffing and sitting when she see's she's turning for home. She does better
when starting out, it's when we turn to come home or if we are at the park
and the path is in the home stretch, she becomes very obstinate.

My husband has always gotten frustrated w/the chow even after she graduated
as a puppy because it was a fight to keep her from stopping and sniffing on
her walks. We would walk her in the middle of the road but it was a
constant fight to keep her there. She wants to go in her own direction and
becomes down right obstinate. Yanking her chain and telling her no, makes
it worse and it's just a constant fight. She decided at some point to
simply stop and lay down to get her way. She ways 55 lbs. We all have to
stop and wait a minute or two before she will get back up and the tug starts
up again. I might add when she accidently gets loose at home, she bolts
like she is the fastest dog in the neighborhood. She can sometime be
difficult to catch and we are in the car!

This morning, My husband was out walking them both in our neighborhood.
When the chow realizes she was headed back in the direction of home, she
decides to stop and lay down. A man in our neighborhood has witnessed this
on several occasions and today walked over to see if he could help. My
husband (alone with both dogs) told him of his frustration and the man
offered to hold the leash while my husband walked home to get the car. As
soon as the chow saw my husband was leaving her, she jumped to her feet and
followed with the neighbor holding on to her leash. Long story short, the
neighbor walked her the rest of the way home with no problems and I might
add at a fast pace.

Short of ever taking this dog out again for a walk, we do not know what to
do. She's not going very far and we have learned that it is not that she's
hurting or too tired. She just doesn't want to end her walk when she see's
she's headed homeward. She loves her walk but it's to the point we don't
want to go through the frustration of taking her. Help!

TIA,
Phyllis

Obstinate Dog Phyllis Dog behavior 150 August 31st 04 01:58 AM
Obstinate Dog Phyllis Dog behavior 0 August 29th 04 05:22 PM
Obstinate Dog Phyllis Dog behavior 0 August 29th 04 05:22 PM