Update on Reilly the rough collie

Old August 30th 04, 04:32 AM
Tess

Default Update on Reilly the rough collie

I thought I'd update everyone on how Reilly's obedience training has
been going, seeing as I got some nice and helpful replies.

He's doing very well at the moment, especially the last couple of
weeks. I don't know whether neutering him has done anything
significant, but the last two weeks, especially this last week, his
concentration span has increased and he is enjoying working more - if
I say "wanna go work" he gets quite excited.

I figured out from observing him that he gets bored quite easily, as
he tends to learn a behaviour extremely quickly and then he doesn't
seem to see the point of repeating it. However I made my voice a bit
stronger and my mum has been training him daily and he does seem to be
more eager to do it.

At obedience school this week he was excellent and he very easily did
the sit/stay, drop/stay, stand/stay, and heeling. He isn't very good
at the recall we do, and he's still a bit iffy on always sitting
whenever we stop, but he was so good at everything else that the
instructor said he was excellent and he encouraged us to enter the
"Fun day" competition they are having in two weeks time. He's
probably the most reliable puppy in our class so I'm quite proud of
both of us He's also returning to the closed in part of the yard
now, because he thinks every time he comes in he'll get to play tug

I feel really lucky I don't need to train him how to react to people
or greet visitors, as he is absolutely perfect at it. He is also MUCH
MUCH better on walks, and no longer pulls unless he really is full of
energy for the first few minutes. He's been walking "loose lead" and
walks beside me or just ahead of me, and he occasionally turns around
to give me a collie smile. We will be taking him to an aged care
centre for his second visit in a couple of weeks and I think he'll do
wonderfully, as whenever he meets someone he sits, sticks his chest
out, wags his tail and gently offers his paw

I have one question though - when we are training, is it true you
shouldn't look the dog in the eye? I feel more comfortable doing that
as it feels like we are working together, but my mum thinks you aren't
meant to do that as it's a challenge and they are more likely to break
their stay.

Thanks everyone for the help

Nat