Poop Question

Old November 19th 03, 01:32 PM
Alison Perera

"Patricia" wrote:

Milo has been making some weird consistency in his poop... Kind of mucus,
kind of stretchy, whitish... I know it's gross, but can anyone tell me if
this is a sign of something wrong with his digestion? In the past he has
been very regular and consistent, so I am a little worried, but he is eating
well...Could it be the aspirin I gave him for pain in his legs? The vet told
me to give him some for a couple days and I have him the coated for
arthritis, that I have given him occasionally. The poop looks like a balloon
holding little weight, it's mostly mucus... Have you guys seen this before?

Yeah, that sounds an awful lot like my girl's tummy troubles. The
mucus is a sign of serious irritation in that ol' GI tract. What do you
feed him?

-Alison in OH

Old November 19th 03, 01:44 PM
Cate

"Patricia" wrote in message
Thank you Alison, I give him cooked chicken blended in the processor with
raw carrots... This is new too, since I am trying to get him on a diet. Up
until 2 weeks ago he would only eat Nutro, since he was a puppy. But I
couldn't get him to loose weight, so I decided to cook the chicken breasts
and mix the with the raw carrots. Could it be that?

I doubt the food is causing the mucus, which in my dog is generated by an
infection of some kind. Best to see the vet for this one. Don't forget to
take a fresh stool sample.

As for the food, is this diet something a vet recommended to you on a
temporary basis? Because while it may be lower in calories than what you
were previously feeding, a diet of chicken, rice, and carrots lacks
nutrients that dogs need.

Cate

Old November 19th 03, 01:54 PM
Jeremy Lowe

Pat,

Aspirin can cause GI discomfort and stomach problems in some dogs and it
could be part of the problem.

More than likely if you feed a commercial dog food they may have had an
ingredient quality change that can effect a digestive system. Even though
the ingredient is the same on the label it may be they are buying from a
different source and such a change can create GI problems. Pet food
manufacturers often change food source and quality to react to pricing and
to keep their profits at a maximum. This is most often the case with large
producers who produce cheaper pet foods. Most of your premium producers keep
a tighter control over the quality and consistency of the ingredients they
use.

Watch your dog and if his bowels don't return to normal in a week (usually
sufficient time to adapt to a food change) then get him to a vet for a
professional opinion.

--
Jeremy Lowe
www.healthypetnet.com/jeremy

Have you hugged your pet today?

Old November 19th 03, 02:01 PM

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Cate wrote:

As for the food, is this diet something a vet recommended to
you on a temporary basis? Because while it may be lower in
calories than what you were previously feeding, a diet of
chicken, rice, and carrots lacks nutrients that dogs need.

it sounds like it's *just* chicken and carrots--no rice.
that can't possibly be balanced.

to the OP: definitely make a vet appointment and take a fresh
stool sample. discuss the aspirin, the weight loss issue, and
what you've been feeding him. if you've reduced the portions
of his regular kibble and/or have increased his exercise, he
ought to be losing weight. if he isn't, there may be a
medical problem that needs addressing.

in the meantime, until you can get to a vet, adding cooked
white rice to his food may help with the loose, mucousy
stools. rice is generally easy on the GI tract as well as
acting as a stool binder.

--
shelly (perfectly foul wench) and elliott and harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette

Dog Purchase Question - Info Please punchy Dog breeds 1 October 26th 03 10:38 PM
supplement question CCDOX Dog health 8 October 13th 03 08:16 PM
supplement question CCDOX Dog health 0 October 9th 03 03:05 AM
ESS Feeding Question Darby Wiggins Dog breeds 6 July 18th 03 03:00 PM
Question for breeders Tara O. Dog breeds 12 July 13th 03 03:28 PM